Hops Harvesting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midworld08

Reaction score
Well I couldn't wait any longer. I've started to harvest. I had a good look here; http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/search?q=lupilin+gland and he has quite a few great tips on what to look for and I figure mine meet those criteria.

Has anybody else in Perth metro harvested their hops? Mine have a papery scrunch to them, and the picture on the lupilin glands shows them pretty good. The plant has another 2-3 of these sized bowls of cones left on it, but the dehydrator won't fit them all at once so I've got to start sooner or later, cause I have another 2 bines with the same amount on them. Not all the cones are ready on the plant either.

So heres hoping I've done it right for my first harvest.
The bowl pictured has 350g of undried hops in it, so it'll be interesting to see how much of that is moisture as they seem pretty dry as is.
I reacon enough here for a brew anyway, and I think not bad for a first year harvest :).

cone_harvest.JPG

cone_in_half.JPG

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I've started to harvest. I had a good look here; http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/search?q=lupilin+gland and he has quite a few great tips on what to look for and I figure mine meet those criteria.

Has anybody else in Perth metro harvested their hops? Mine have a papery scrunch to them, and the picture on the lupilin glands shows them pretty good. The plant has another 2-3 of these sized bowls of cones left on it, but the dehydrator won't fit them all at once so I've got to start sooner or later, cause I have another 2 bines with the same amount on them. Not all the cones are ready on the plant either.

So heres hoping I've done it right for my first harvest.
The bowl pictured has 350g of undried hops in it, so it'll be interesting to see how much of that is moisture as they seem pretty dry as is.
I reacon enough here for a brew anyway, and I think not bad for a first year harvest :).

Looks like you've done well, midworld. What breed of hops are they? The colour and amount of lupulin suggests you picked them at the right time. I harvested my first crop of Chinook some weeks ago and used them in a brew recently as a later hop addition. I will get another harvest a little later on from the same plant.

Cheers

ToG

Looks like you've done well, midworld. What breed of hops are they? The colour and amount of lupulin suggests you picked them at the right time. I harvested my first crop of Chinook some weeks ago and used them in a brew recently as a later hop addition. I will get another harvest a little later on from the same plant.

Cheers

ToG

These are Perle, I've got Fuggles which did not perform as well in the heat, and goldings which has just as much on it as the Perle.

I picked about the same from my first year Perle so I'll be interested to know how they turn out. I dried mine and have them in the freezer, along with all the other hops so far this year. The aroma is certainly very delicate, especially compared to the Chinook and Cascade! I've got a batch cubed with the cascade / chinook, samples from the kettle were lovely. I expected more of a grassy flavour being fresh but it wasn't too bad at all.

Latest posts

Back