Hops Clogging My Kegs And Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

I recently kegged a belgian india red ale, which I had dry hopped in the fermenter. Upon racking into the keg, a bit of the hop debris has gotten its way into the keg and now into the beer line and tap. I can only assume that there is more at the bottom of the keg at the pick up tube just waiting to clog up the system again.

What is the best thing to do in this situation? My thoughts were either:

1) Rack from the top of the keg into another keg (however, since it is now carbed, probably not a good idea) or;

2) Turn the keg upside down once to mix up the hop debris and just hope for the best.

Cheers for your advise
Phil

You could de-carb it if you were to transfer it, although I wouldn't go that far yet. I'm assuming the tap is blocked? If so I'd just dimantle it, clean it out and if the line has a crap load of hop in it maybe change the line as well. I get some hop debri if the first couple of pints some times but after that the dip tube is cleared at the bottom of the keg and all's well, I wouldn't think you'll have too much in there now.

I agree, unless you have a lawn mower bag worth of hop debris at the bottom, you should be able to pour clear beer in a pint or two. Let it all settle out. But definitely a good cleaning of the lines and faucet should help too.

You could de-carb it if you were to transfer it, although I wouldn't go that far yet. I'm assuming the tap is blocked? If so I'd just dimantle it, clean it out and if the line has a crap load of hop in it maybe change the line as well. I get some hop debri if the first couple of pints some times but after that the dip tube is cleared at the bottom of the keg and all's well, I wouldn't think you'll have too much in there now.

Key thing is get yourself a irrigation filter for your transfer hose and don;t let it happen again :party:

Latest posts

Back