Hops And Possums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhaldane

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problems with possums eating their hops bines?

I recently planted a chinook hops rhizome in a large pot in my backyard, and put up some twine for the best three bines to climb, by attaching the twine to the top of my fence. Recently the bines have reached the top of the fence (I have since erected a higher trellis for further growth). Recently I found the top of my best bine munched off by something! The top couple of leaves near the top of the fence were also a bit munched. The only thing I can think of to explain it is possums, or a disgruntled neighbour.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problems with possums eating their hops bines?

I recently planted a chinook hops rhizome in a large pot in my backyard, and put up some twine for the best three bines to climb, by attaching the twine to the top of my fence. Recently the bines have reached the top of the fence (I have since erected a higher trellis for further growth). Recently I found the top of my best bine munched off by something! The top couple of leaves near the top of the fence were also a bit munched. The only thing I can think of to explain it is possums, or a disgruntled neighbour.

Cheers,

Sam

bloody possums, they are all about my deck, eat and poo in there. It will be bad news for me to discover they like hops. My tettnanger plant may not have any future.

i have 6 hops in pots, one bine of my cascade got eaten a few weeks ago by a possum i think.
it hasn't come back to eat any more so hopefully it didn't like the taste.

cheer's

i have 6 hops in pots, one bine of my cascade got eaten a few weeks ago by a possum i think.
it hasn't come back to eat any more so hopefully it didn't like the taste.

cheer's

I saw this video on line about a guy in USA teaching how to grow hops. He claims his dog ate one cone and died....always wanted to know whether that was true. So, look for dead possums will you?

This is a worry, I recently planted goldings (bursting out of the bag in the fridge) and tettnang (not so bursting) at a mate's veggie patch in south Tas, and they're struggling to keep the possums/wallabies away from everything. Hopefully they'll be distracted by something tastier. I'd hate to go all the way from QLD, concrete in a pole and trellis to get any viable product chewed.

Tas09_028.jpg

I saw this video on line about a guy in USA teaching how to grow hops. He claims his dog ate one cone and died....always wanted to know whether that was true. So, look for dead possums will you?

thats what i thought but its not dead it's been jumping up and down on the roof almost every night

thats what i thought but its not dead it's been jumping up and down on the roof almost every night
The in-laws dog stuffed one of my rhizomes.....
I wanted to kill it...
it was 2 foot....
Now..DEAD
BITCH
Female dog...
Must lay of the docs golden....
Cheers
Ferg

Latest posts

Back