Hops alpha stability

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Judge

Reaction score
I noticed on some sites about hops they mention the storage stability of hops.

For example this page on Columbus says that after 6 months of storage only 52% of alpha acids are (I presume) isomerisable.

That seems like complete arse to me, as I've used stored hops from 3 years ago and my calcs of IBU have been based on what's reported on the packet at time of packaging - and I've not noticed significantly less bittering. i.e. I don't adjust the recipe by dumping in 100% more hops to account for decreased alpha acids.

Is this actually a thing to be concerned about? I thought it was aroma which was affected by staling.

Proof is always in the drinking, but if I want my calcs to be correct, should any corrections be made?

That is when stored at 20C; it will be a fraction of that in the freezer.

As said above, thats at 20 degrees c and not vac sealed etc.

There r calculators online and generally in brewing software to calculate what your AA% will be after storing for a considerable time. I always adjust my AA's as it makes a big difference when your hops are a few years old. These calculators are a bit like a yeast starter calculator though, its all a hit of a guesstimate. Ive not really experienced overly bitter beers due to adjusting the AA's and in my opinion the adjusted AA is likely closer than the original AA.

Have to agree with everyone above. If you do a search using "Beersmith HSI" (standing for Hop Storage Index), you'll get a lot of information.

Righto - thanks. I've never even considered this (except when harvesting my own hops). And what's more, I've never noticed a difference in calc'd vs actual bitterness. I guess cos most of my hops are stored pretty cold.

Also the notes of different hops in the software and specs elsewere.. Some hops have much poorer storage ability over time and I believe it from experience. Aroma hops for eg. So low in AA that's all lost with the Aroma as well. Not much good for those 18+ months old that I can think of. I don't even know if the worms would like it in the compost. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back