Hoppy Or Malty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Do you have a preference? Obviously different styles are hop or malt driven, and they can all be good, but the question is inspired by my brothers tastes. Now he is by no means a connoisseur, and he doesn't seem to like any hoppy beers. Not because theyre too bitter or whatever, its quite the opposite. Anything with much hop flavour or aroma he reckons tastes like cordial or something, too fruity and girly. On the other hand he likes big malty 'chewy' ales.

I found it kinda strange... any comments or experiences to share?

I've had a couple beers that have felt entirely hop driven (not necessarily massive IIPA hops - lightish lagers actually) and I found them severely lacking but, in the context of the question, I would have to say that I do prefer hoppy rather than malty.

For the most part, malty for me....however, having said that, it needs to be balanced.

Malty for low alcohol, early drinking beers.

The bigger, storage type beers require additional hop bitterness to allow them to age gracefully.

cheers

Darren

Do you have a preference? Obviously different styles are hop or malt driven, and they can all be good, but the question is inspired by my brothers tastes. Now he is by no means a connoisseur, and he doesn't seem to like any hoppy beers. Not because theyre too bitter or whatever, its quite the opposite. Anything with much hop flavour or aroma he reckons tastes like cordial or something, too fruity and girly. On the other hand he likes big malty 'chewy' ales.

I found it kinda strange... any comments or experiences to share?

Pretty much depends on style for me Sammus, English bitters for instance - complex, yeast esters, malt profile and complex bitterness along with the aromas each contributes. German Lagers I prefer to have a that typical bready maltiness and low bittering and aroms. Different strokes I think. See if you can get him to vocalise what "chewy" means to him.

Cheers,

Screwy

I prefer malt and yeast flavours to lots of hop aroma. Hop flavour on the other hand can complement malt and yeast well.

If I had to vote I'd prefer a malt backbone over an excessively dry hopped beer but to echo butters, they need to balance.

Can we have everything?

poll?
I prefer big malty and hoppy beer when I only am about to have a couple.
Session beers I enjoy less malty and only tinge of hops.
Sucking on a Urquell ATM and it is my 6th one or so.
Very Balanced.
:icon_offtopic: It is always best to purchase Import during winter as the shipment doesn't get heat-stroked during shipping.

Matti

To me, this is kind of like asking if one prefers cars with engines or cars with gearboxes! It's pretty rare that I'd want one without the other...

The beers which are most malt-biased are probably dopplebocks/eisbocks. Does your brother likes beers of these styles OP?

Sammus, does it frustrate you that no one is even trying to look at the question in the spirit it is asked?

Guys, I'm pretty sure he's not asking "is your preference for balanced or unbalanced beers for style?"

lol it was me who started, not pump ;) Naw I wasn't really meaning to tally everyones preferences, just wondering if other people considered big hoppy ipas etc to fruity, even when balanced.

Chewy he definitely means malty, and english milds or bitters I've brewed he is all over. Any APAs or IPAs its a bit of 'meh' or 'taste like passionfruits, not beer'

I'd like to think its not my beers that are lacking, plenty of commercial varieties he's commented on in the same way. eg LCPA he reckons is closer to pre mixed tart fuel than beer. I reckon he's a gronk personally lol, just wondering if anyone else had come across this kind of thing I guess.

Malty then - I love a big hoppy beer... but only feel like them occasionally. I want good clean maltiness every time though.

It depends on the mood. Some days I wake up and just feel like hops. But a nice malty bitter does hit the spot on a cold night.

Have seen a few people who have disliked things like LCPA on the grounds of 'fruit salad'. One bartender said to me once that all Little Creatures beers were shit and tasted like fruit salad.

Like other have said - depends on my mood. Generally I just like beer...each has its time and place. Lots of people (not brewers) don't like malty or hoppy beers which explains why megabrew is usually boring...

Sammus, does it frustrate you that no one is even trying to look at the question in the spirit it is asked?

Guys, I'm pretty sure he's not asking "is your preference for balanced or unbalanced beers for style?"

Most people indicated a preference but added in some extra information so as to avoid being absolutist or dogmatic.

A tough one everytime I have a particularly well made beer leaning one way my preferences change!
I was enjoying feral hop hog so I was leaning towards hoppy untile very recently, then I had the barossa bock...

I've seen some articles and TV segments regarding "supertasters" and I think I may be one. I've grown out of my childhood aversion to bitterness but I still lean towards sweet things rather than bitter. The same goes for beer. I prefer maltier styles over hoppier ones, but I do regularly brew pale ales, IPAs, BWs, etc.

When judging I have to temper my marks/responses when I come across a beer I feel may be a bit too bitter for style as I often overreact and mark it too low.

To me, this is kind of like asking if one prefers cars with engines or cars with gearboxes! It's pretty rare that I'd want one without the other...
Or you could go for a car without either, and buy up like the masses, but I think that's why most of us are brewing our own, at least it is for me. I like both. Sometimes hoppy sometimes malty. Even occaisionally with a nice balance between the two.

I like em' all, but you can't go past a big mouth puckering hoppy beer :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back