Hoppy Or Malty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, this is kind of like asking if one prefers cars with engines or cars with gearboxes! It's pretty rare that I'd want one without the other...

The beers which are most malt-biased are probably dopplebocks/eisbocks. Does your brother likes beers of these styles OP?

not that I'm aware of, I think I'll make him try one though.

Sammus, does it frustrate you that no one is even trying to look at the question in the spirit it is asked?

Guys, I'm pretty sure he's not asking "is your preference for balanced or unbalanced beers for style?"

lol pretty much my thoughts, I have noticed that a lot of people took it this way though (case in point, the first quote in this post). I'm not particularly frustrated though, I've been using various forums for long enough to expect people to answer the questions around those asked if they can't answer directly :)

I'm a malt man. I'm also partial to my hops, but the malt has to be there.

Alfie

Malty for me. I've recently made a conscious decision to up my specialty malts in my hoppier beers to accomodate this preference too, or to sub in Munich Malt for some of the base.

Hoppy but with a great malt background, has to be balanced

Malty but with some nice hop bitterness and some aroma

I cant decide which came first the maltyness or the bitterness :p

Hops. The more over the top the better. Balance is for gymnasts and pussys

I love both, but I guess malty is more important to me. I take "hoppy" to mean flavour and aroma, not bittering. Based on this, a beer that has a great malt complexity, a well selected yeast and is balanced in the bittering department can be a joy to drink, without any hop flavour or aroma to speak of. To me, this is the foundation of any good beer. If you take a Corona-style beer and load it up with hops, it will still be a watery concoction.

Hoppy. Of coarse there needs to be maltyness behind it other wise it would be hopped soda water, Yuk.
I myself am trying to brew a beer with larger hop profiles that malt, just my own preference.

Drew

Back