Hopping techniques.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I'm only brewing from the Cooper's kits at the moment and adding extra hops.

Can you explain the different hop effects according to when/how they are added?

For instance, will I get the best hop effect if I steep them in boiling water and add them to the wort at the beginning? Or will I get a better effect if I dry hop for 4-5 days after ferm. has ceased?

When I started brewing I bought a book...Brewing Crafts, this gives you the kind of information that you are seeking.
You ask the question about hopping effects,this is like describing the taste of Caviar or Oysters to someone who has never tried either.
No one can advise you on this,you have to suck it and see !
Take one of your prefered commercial beers,look this up in the book that I have recommended and brew accordingly,adjust to your taste the next time you brew.

nala said:
When I started brewing I bought a book...Brewing Crafts, this gives you the kind of information that you are seeking.
You ask the question about hopping effects,this is like describing the taste of Caviar or Oysters to someone who has never tried either.
No one can advise you on this,you have to suck it and see !
Take one of your prefered commercial beers,look this up in the book that I have recommended and brew accordingly,adjust to your taste the next time you brew.
I need to explain further. Let's take Nelson Sauvin hops which give off a citrusy and fruity smell and flavour.
Will I get more flavour and value from adding them at the beginning or dry hop them after fermentation?

Dry hopping,the amount is up to you...2 grams per litre to 5 grams per litre.

jackgym said:
I need to explain further. Let's take Nelson Sauvin hops which give off a citrusy and fruity smell and flavour.
Will I get more flavour and value from adding them at the beginning or dry hop them after fermentation?
If you are dry hopping, then add at the end of fermentation to avoid losing those wonderful aromas out the airlock, this will give you aroma but not a huge amount of flavour. If you want to boost the flavour then steeping in boiling water will work kind of like making a tea. It would be better if you can make up a couple of litres of 1.040 wort, maybe by adding the dextrose or BE1/2 you are no doubt adding to the fermentor along with the kit. Bring to the boil, add your hops and continue to boil for 10-20 minutes, cool in a water bath and add to the fermentor along with the kit and water to your usual volume. Both methods together will improve the flavour and aroma of your beer and often go hand in hand rather than one or the other.

its a big q, the best way is to try out

A BIG GENERALISATION

Boil
the longer in the boil the less flavour aroma the more bitterness

So a short 0 min to 10 min will give you more flavour and aroma and less bitterness

Dry hop.
If you dry hop early then the aroma may be "pushed" out by the fermentation and co2 generation

Matt B from firestone walker will dry hop twice in fermentation and will not leave the hops in any longer than 3 days.

For me, (As a no chiller)

I will dry hop twice (day 3 or 4 in fermenting, then last 3 days whilst cold chilling) on beers I feel need more flavour (first dry hop) and aroma the last dry hop)

Thanks for all your answers, it seems there's more to this hopping caper than I thought. Cheers. :beerbang:

Not sure if I'm hijacking this thread but the title seems to relate.

I can't find any answers about dry hopping whilst cold crashing vs dry hop in keg.

Also if dry hopping in keg, do you not carb it until you pull out the hops?

Latest posts

Back