Hopco Challenge - Tassie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
Link here.

Sounds great - but 6 bottles! Hmm.
Wonder if entrants will be told the AA of the "mystery hops"? *edit* - hops identity will be revealed.
Guess I could try for a few extra litres into the fermentor, then when it's done put 4.5 litres into bottles and keg whatever's left over.

Anyone else interested in entering this?
Anyone know anything about it?
Could be fun.

edit* The email on that page doesn't work, but I tried again without the "email" prefix in the link (had to copy, paste and edit manually) and that one seems to have gone through.

Thats what I messaged the organisers. Will be held in Hobart.
Hoping that entries can be submitted "on the day" rather than having to post them.
If they can, looks like Mrs Spork gets another weekend in Hob, and I get another trip to Cool Wine. :)

Just got an email back from orgainser. Entries can be submitted on the day. No need to post. :)

Loopks like I might be entering my first competition.

Anyone in / near Lonny got a 1 micron absolute filter I could borrow for a few bottles towards the end of Jan?

6 Long Necks (4.5L) + $10 :blink: WTF are they going to do with so much beer?..... That's equivalent to a dozen stubbies!! yet you only get a few hops and a trophy if you win. imo that's outrageous. They say the $10 is to cover the cost of hops they give you.... obviously they're not happy with just a dozen stubbies!

It would be a good comp but I highly doubt there will be many entrants due to the amount needed to be submitted.

What is it about Tassie?... surely there is something going on that will make things worth while.

Anyone know who the Tasmanian Beer & Ale Society are? What do they do?

6 long necks is certainly a little over the top. Wonder how many judges there are?

"Who's the Judge? = A blind tasting by those present at the BrewBQ scoring each brew out of 10. (In the event of a huge turn out the organiser reserves the right to appoint a panel of judges.)"
It sounds like every Tom, Dick and Harry from the "BrewBQ" will judge and no certified judges unless there is a huge turn out and then there is nothing to say that there would be experienced judges on the panel. (just a bunch of friend I reckon). I somehow doubt that will happen though.

Now I just need to work out how I can join the BrewBQ so I can get some free beer :icon_cheers:

Could be an interesting competition.
Maybe we should make more of an effort to support any competitions that come our way. 6 Tallies seems like a fair ask, however, as I would be brewing specifically for this competition, I don't really mind. I'm sure a few of us are a little gun shy after the BeerFest homebrew comp, I know that I am. However, as a fledgling mash brewer, I am after any feedback I can get.
I'm not sure what the postage is for 6 Tallies, however, Fastway can send 20kg for $22.00 from Burnie to Hobart, so maybe a few brewers can get together and combine shipping.
Get on board fellas, otherwise the Hopco challenge Trophy is heading to Burnie.

I wouldn't count on experienced feedback by the sounds of things. Just opinions from a bunch of people.

Send me your 6 bottles & $10, I'll give you feedback, a trophy and handful of hops. Heck, I'd do it for everyone at that rate :p

By all means though, I really shouldn't rubbish it as it is a good thing something happening around SLOWbart regardless of the archaic prices.

As long as the feedback is better than "mmm nice beer" "Tasty", then its better than last years efforts in Hobart (only hearsay from other brewers and comments on here).
Don't know what to make of it all, but stuff it. I'm going to enter.
LagerBomb

Given that entries can be submitted on the day I reckon I'll have a crack at it.
No postage, Mrs Spork gets a trip to Hobart, I get beer (at the cost of beer....) and BBQ with like-minded individuals.
It's a lot of beer for judging purposes - but everyone gets to be a judge! (Hopefully)
(From webpage): Who's the Judge? = A blind tasting by those presentat the BrewBQ scoring each brew out of 10. (In the event of a huge turn out the organiser reserves the right to appoint a panel of judges.)
And, equipment and time aside, how much does it cost to make a brew?
- Bulk buy grain - $1.50 / KG
- Use each packet of yeast twice.
- $10 for hops
- Enough beer left after 6 bottles to 3/4 fill a keg. :)
So, for this, given the price of hops (I usually buy them in bulk too - $30 / kg) a bottle will cost about a buck to produce.
Hope they are American hops, I'm more familiar with them. Don't know any Chinese pale ale (CPA) recipes...

Given that entries can be submitted on the day I reckon I'll have a crack at it.
No postage, Mrs Spork gets a trip to Hobart, I get beer (at the cost of beer....) and BBQ with like-minded individuals.
It's a lot of beer for judging purposes - but everyone gets to be a judge! (Hopefully)
(From webpage): Who's the Judge? = A blind tasting by those presentat the BrewBQ scoring each brew out of 10. (In the event of a huge turn out the organiser reserves the right to appoint a panel of judges.)
And, equipment and time aside, how much does it cost to make a brew?
- Bulk buy grain - $1.50 / KG
- Use each packet of yeast twice.
- $10 for hops
- Enough beer left after 6 bottles to 3/4 fill a keg. :)
So, for this, given the price of hops (I usually buy them in bulk too - $30 / kg) a bottle will cost about a buck to produce.
Hope they are American hops, I'm more familiar with them. Don't know any Chinese pale ale (CPA) recipes...
Exactly my thinking. Not too sure about the trip down to Hobart. That would be twice in 6 months, breaking my 20 year tradition of only going to Hobart every 2 years.
I agree about the cost - with Hops just about bbeing the dearest part of brewing these days.

Do any of the Hobart guys know anything about Tasmanian Beer and Ale Society, the guys running the comp?
Ive never heard of them but then I don't get down South much
Cheers
Chris

I have never heard of them or any other club/organisation down here either.

Maybe it is time to star one up. I know a few brewers down here now and I am sure a few of them would like to join as well. However, I haven't the time to organise it myself. Well, at least not until my kids get a little older.

I "found" them on Facebook. Don't know much about them, but they are Tasmanian, and they like beer and ale. Must be good blokes. :)

First time I have heard of them.
I did by some hop rhizomes from Hopco this year and they had a stall at the Micro brewery festival this year.
I might enter for the heck of it.

Cheers

my question are any of them qualified judges,or are they just a bunch of guy's think what's best..

my question are any of them qualified judges,or are they just a bunch of guy's think what's best..

Nothing indicates any qualified judges. The way I read it is if there aren't too many people then everyone attending gets to judge each beer. Guess thats why such a large amount per entry is required.
Thats not a bad thing IMO. I'd just as soon get feedback on my beers from beer drinkers than qualified judges. After all, I brew for MY tastes, and my mates' tastes. It just sounds like a bit of fun, nothing too serious.

I went to a similar event last year and it was a lot of fun. You are correct, it's unlikely there will be any bjcp certified judges there, but most of the judges will be other home brewers that have plenty of experience tasting :chug: beers. Also it gives you a good chance to talk to other brewers and try the beers everyone has made- rather than just submitting them to a comp and waiting for some cryptic responses.

I also like the idea of having everyone brew with the same hops-should be interesting to see what hops they choose.

Back