Hopco Challenge - Tassie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I'm one of the organisers of the Hopco Challenge and hopefully the re-jigged flyer below will clarify some of the issues for those who cannot get to Hobart for a BrewBQ in March 2012.

All available info on the challenge hops including AA will be provided.

Primarily the thing to remember is YES this is a SOCIAL Challenge.

Updated 7 December 2011
The Inaugural Tasmanian
“Hopco Challenge”
Object of the challenge = Brew the best beer you can.​
Disclaimer: Hopco is NOT the organiser of this event. This is a SOCIAL EVENT being organised by a social group of Hobart home brewers (Mates). All entry fees, including non-brewing drinkers @ the BrewBQ, not spent on sourcing hops will be returned to participants by way of goods and services at the judging BrewBQ. The organisers wish to recognise the generous support of Hopco without whom the brewing world would be a less interesting place. Ask about Hopco hops from your local home brew store or visit them online @ www.hopco.com.au for some info on their hops and stockists.
The "Challenge" = Use one or both of two different types of hops given to you as the "Challenge Hops".​
The Timeframe = Distribute Hops to the challengers from 16 December 2011 for a tasting/BrewBQ in Greater Hobart area mid/late March 2012. BrewBQ will be no charge BYO everything with the offer of paying a small fee for snags, access to Ice/eskis, etc.​
Cost =$10 per entry to cover the actual cost of the Hops (Plus actual Postage costs if mailed.) (See disclaimer above!)​
Type of Hops? = That's the big part of the challenge!​
One will be considered a bittering Hop and the other an aroma Hop. All entrants will be given the same hop types.​
Hop type will be confirmed when you hand over your entry fee and get the hops.​
Type of Brew? = However you like. We recognise that the timeframe is not great for a “well aged” beer but, hopefully the tasters palates will be experienced enough to recognise potential! So Full Mash to a few hops chucked in a Kit, ALL WELCOME! (Talk to your local brew shop for ideas, they are there to help!)​
Who's the Judge? = For Brewers present @ the BrewBQ; A tasting by those present scoring each brew out of 10. For brewers unable to attend the BrewBQ a panel of judges appointed by the organisers.​
How much brew? = You will need to reserve six (6) 750ml long necks (4.5 litres) for the judging if you are coming to the BrewBQ. If you are unable to attend the BrewBQ 1 or 2, bottles of 700ml+.​
Is there a prize? = The BrewBQ trophy (Think Tacky but fun!) only those @ the BrewBQ eligible. All eligible for various prizes from our sponsor “Hopco” including HOPS!!!​
I’m not a brewer but the BrewBQ sounds like fun? = Non brewing drinkers will be welcome to the BrewBQ, a charge will apply dependant on what the committee provides on the day. You WILL be eligible to vote for the BrewBQ trophy.​
If interested please email [email protected] .​

Link here.

Sounds great - but 6 bottles! Hmm.
Wonder if entrants will be told the AA of the "mystery hops"? *edit* - hops identity will be revealed.
Guess I could try for a few extra litres into the fermentor, then when it's done put 4.5 litres into bottles and keg whatever's left over.

Anyone else interested in entering this?
Anyone know anything about it?
Could be fun.

edit* The email on that page doesn't work, but I tried again without the "email" prefix in the link (had to copy, paste and edit manually) and that one seems to have gone through.

Excellent.
I'm socially challenged, so should be right up my alley!

Sounds Like a fun comp. I doubt I will be able to get down south for the BBQ but Ill send a few beers down.

I like this idea, and will certainly enter. It seems that it started out as a local challenge and has grown from there. Who knows, this may end up being an annual challenge. Anyway, I'll treat it as a chance to throw caution to the wind and maybe brew something a little different. Gotta look at it a a chance to be creative and experimental, as well a way to improve my brewing. Sounds like fun :party: - I'm in. I'll do my best to make it down for the brewbq.

I'm one of the organisers

Hi, and good on you for running comp. But may I enquire why on earth you need 6 bottles per entry? All official state, national & well regarded other comps ask for one, or two max (for final round judging). To some, it may appear like an opportunity is being taken for a lot of people to get on the piss for free that day. Or, maybe you have other reasons? Your judging panel couldn't be bigger than the National championships, surely.

Hi, and good on you for running comp. But may I enquire why on earth you need 6 bottles per entry? All official state, national & well regarded other comps ask for one, or two max (for final round judging). To some, it may appear like an opportunity is being taken for a lot of people to get on the piss for free that day. Or, maybe you have other reasons? Your judging panel couldn't be bigger than the National championships, surely.

Ted, doesn't the info sheet mention that those present will be the judges? So that means all that are attending right? You would need enough beer for all attending to be able to taste.... I don't think this is like other comps.

The six bottles is just for those bringing their brew to the BrewBQ. It is a "Peer Review" judgement so I just "plucked" a figure that I thought would mean if we had around 30 people @ the BrewBQ with around 20 entrants that there would be enough of each brew for everyone to be able to get a reasonable taste.

Whilst the BrewBQ details have not been finalised, I suspect we would look at people "tending" to thier own brew. If you only brought two bottles (Or indeed 24) to the BrewBQ I would not have a problem, but it's going to be hard to make 2 bottles go round 20 people to taste!!! (Once again, BrewBQ rule details are yet to be decided.)

We have opened it up to out of area entries as well and are only asking for one or two bottles for that section.

As a few people have mentioned it would be nice to develop this into an annual event and perhaps then we would move to something more formalised, get accredited judges, tasting glasses etc etc

Mind you, that said, I think we would also like to keep a "Peer Review" or "Popular Vote" aspect to it.

Personally I'm not interested in brewing "Technically perfect" beers, I'm interested in brewing beers people go "Wow That's Interesting, What did you do there?"

Do any of the Hobart guys know anything about Tasmanian Beer and Ale Society, the guys running the comp?
Ive never heard of them but then I don't get down South much
Cheers
Chris

Tas Beer and Ale are not the organisers. It is three mates who brew.

Me being one of them.

Regards,

Kev.

Tas Beer and Ale are not the organisers. It is three mates who brew.

Me being one of them.

Regards,

Kev.

Three mates? Tas, Beer and Ale? Which one are you... Ale? :p

A bit like Snap, Crackle and Pop I'd think...

Hi,

I'm one of the organisers of the Hopco Challenge and hopefully the re-jigged flyer below will clarify some of the issues for those who cannot get to Hobart for a BrewBQ in March 2012.

All available info on the challenge hops including AA will be provided.

Primarily the thing to remember is YES this is a SOCIAL Challenge.

Updated 7 December 2011
The Inaugural Tasmanian
Hopco Challenge
Object of the challenge = Brew the best beer you can.​
Disclaimer: Hopco is NOT the organiser of this event. This is a SOCIAL EVENT being organised by a social group of Hobart home brewers (Mates). All entry fees, including non-brewing drinkers @ the BrewBQ, not spent on sourcing hops will be returned to participants by way of goods and services at the judging BrewBQ. The organisers wish to recognise the generous support of Hopco without whom the brewing world would be a less interesting place. Ask about Hopco hops from your local home brew store or visit them online @ www.hopco.com.au for some info on their hops and stockists.
The "Challenge" = Use one or both of two different types of hops given to you as the "Challenge Hops".​
The Timeframe = Distribute Hops to the challengers from 16 December 2011 for a tasting/BrewBQ in Greater Hobart area mid/late March 2012. BrewBQ will be no charge BYO everything with the offer of paying a small fee for snags, access to Ice/eskis, etc.​
Cost =$10 per entry to cover the actual cost of the Hops (Plus actual Postage costs if mailed.) (See disclaimer above!)​
Type of Hops? = That's the big part of the challenge!​
One will be considered a bittering Hop and the other an aroma Hop. All entrants will be given the same hop types.​
Hop type will be confirmed when you hand over your entry fee and get the hops.​
Type of Brew? = However you like. We recognise that the timeframe is not great for a well aged beer but, hopefully the tasters palates will be experienced enough to recognise potential! So Full Mash to a few hops chucked in a Kit, ALL WELCOME! (Talk to your local brew shop for ideas, they are there to help!)​
Who's the Judge? = For Brewers present @ the BrewBQ; A tasting by those present scoring each brew out of 10. For brewers unable to attend the BrewBQ a panel of judges appointed by the organisers.​
How much brew? = You will need to reserve six (6) 750ml long necks (4.5 litres) for the judging if you are coming to the BrewBQ. If you are unable to attend the BrewBQ 1 or 2, bottles of 700ml+.​
Is there a prize? = The BrewBQ trophy (Think Tacky but fun!) only those @ the BrewBQ eligible. All eligible for various prizes from our sponsor Hopco including HOPS!!!​
Im not a brewer but the BrewBQ sounds like fun? = Non brewing drinkers will be welcome to the BrewBQ, a charge will apply dependant on what the committee provides on the day. You WILL be eligible to vote for the BrewBQ trophy.​
If interested please email [email protected] .​

Sorry for delay have been getting tied up with Silly season.

I have the hops and will be at New Sydney Hotel from 5.30 to say 6.45pm Friday 16 Dec.

I work in Hobart and live in New Town if you wish to pick up.

I am happy to report we can mail the hops @ no extra charge if you wish to deposit into a bank account the $10.

Mail outs will be occuring from 19 Dec.

Please email [email protected] for bank/contact details.

Sorry for delay have been getting tied up with Silly season.

I have the hops and will be at New Sydney Hotel from 5.30 to say 6.45pm Friday 16 Dec.

I work in Hobart and live in New Town if you wish to pick up.

I am happy to report we can mail the hops @ no extra charge if you wish to deposit into a bank account the $10.

Mail outs will be occuring from 19 Dec.

Please email [email protected] for bank/contact details.

LMAO!!!

Sitting in the New Sydney Pub in Hobart, two big bags of hops, some digital scales and a box of zip lock bags.

WOnder why I'm getting some funny looks!!!!!

Kev.

Hmm. Time for a nice APA. That won't go astray in the warmer months. :)

A bit more notice might help next time..

Sorry mate, I acknowledge it is all a bit "Seat of the Pants", next bright idea I get... I'll try and avoid doing it in the silly season.

A few guys got their hops @ the New Syd and the little research I've been able to do on them is interesting. (See Below)

Kev.

" Wai-iti is a low alpha, aroma hop which produces an array of citrus characteristics - mandarin, lemon, lime. Low Coh adds to the overall quality of the finish which is soft. This is a newly released hop.

Grown: New Zealand

Alpha Rating: 2.9

ZYTHOS ─ a proprietary hop blend created to embody the powerful tradition and aroma you expect for your finest ales and IPA brews. With targeted brewing values of 11.9% alpha and 5.0% beta, ZYTHOS is an IPA style blend created to optimize and exceed the aroma characteristics found in the finest American IPA's and Pale ales (and any other hoppy American style). ZYTHOS is not a replacement for proprietary varieties, but rather, a premium pellet blend that will compliment your current IPA and Pale Ale brews. This novel proprietary pellet blend is comprised of many of the Northwests most unique hop varieties and is perfect for any American-style IPA. Each hop has been hand selected for its superior aromatic qualities, imparting distinct tangerine, citrus, floral, pine and grapefruit tones.

Usage: Dual (great bittering qualities and fantastic aroma profile)

Description: Tangerine, Citrus, floral, pine and Grapefruit character (the best of the best)

Typical Beer Styles: American pale, amber, American IPA, IBA, Black IPA etc. (pretty much anything you want awesome hop character in)

Typical Alpha Acid: 10.5%

Other Details

Current Alpha Acid %:

Beta Acid %:

5.2"

Wonder how many judges there are?

6 :lol:

naa dunno... but there was a topic I saw a fair while ago, a bloke was making sort of cardboard box's to send in the mail.. they looked the goods, will try and find it..

6 bottles for 6 score cards is it? if this was the case then it would certainly be good value.

Yob

[edit] LINK HERE

Hi All,

Just a few words on the challenge to answer some questions I have been asked over the weekend.

The ONLY rule with the use of the hops is you must use at least ONE of the hops in the challenge.

Those submitting a brew for judging whether coming to BrewBQ or in the “Absent Brethren” category will need to tell the “Story of their beer” in some way. Not sure what at this stage indeed it may be as free form as however you want to (list of ingredients even).

The reason I am saying this is if your story is… “I used a load of hops I always brew with and half a teaspoon of Wai-iti to a 25 litre brew” then I reckon your story sucks! And I hope the judges do to and mark you down for being a BrewBQ Grinch! ;-)

The story I really want to hear goes something like “As soon as I smelled them I knew just what I was going to do….”, “…decided to add a few (xx) Hops I had in the fridge which I thought would bring it all together…love the end result might use a few more/less (yy) next time.” That’s how I see the spirit of the challenge.

Have a great and safe festive season!

Kev.

Latest posts

Back