Hop/yeast Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Tried a bottle of a pale ale I made back in March last night, and the hop burst of aroma and flavour of cascade was amazing. Strong floral/grapefruit.
I have used cascade before in pale ales for flavour and aroma and never got this

The difference with this one is that I used a safale german ale yeast (DCL yeast K-97) and not my usual US-05

Would this yeast make all that much difference to the hops coming through??

I dont remember this hop burst coming through in the kegged lot that is long gone, just in the bottles from the same brew

Well , I am going to duplicate last Sundays Aussie ale done with US-05, and use the german ale yeast.
Should give a definative answer in a few weeks :)

Being that US-05 is a very clean ale yeast, I'd be surprised if that was behind it Mantis, you didn't comment on fermentation temps though.

cheers

Browndog

Maybe you have never smelt the head space before (head space is the gas above the beer); in a keg we draw the beer from the bottom.

Smell can have a very powerful triggering effect on taste, I think that's why LCPA has "best enjoyed from a glass" on the neck band.

MHB

Fermentation is controlled in my ferm freezer and set to 18C but might edge up to 20C at the height of the action.
I think it must be the bottle thing as I am just starting to sample my first AG brews from the bottles
Must say, I am liking it a lot :icon_drunk:

I'm doing an APA with US-05 and Cascade at the moment. It's 4 days in and only just starting to level out it's temp. I have the tempmate set at 18 degrees C with 0.5 difference and the fridge has been very busy the last two or three days keeping this beast cool. I't's been cool in the evenings here in Tassie but I would say that this yeast has put off more heat than others I have tried. Perhaps this would drive off more aroma, I did notice a lot of Cascade aroma coming from the fermenter in the first two days but can't notice any now. It's starting to slow so I will be dry hopping in a coupla days with another 20g Cascade pellets.

Latest posts

Back