Hop Utilisation in the Whirlpool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treefiddy said:
So spec/HPLC grade solvent is about $100 a litre, which is $2 per sample. Why do you need to cold store your blank and redo it each time? Just record a baseline and be done with it.
I generally blank before reading each sample because the spectro I use is an unreliable piece of shit.

micblair said:
Each sample requires 20 mL isooctane and about an equivalent amount for a blank (which you could store and use multiple times in a day). You also need access to a centrifuge, a shaker and various consumables such as disposable pipettes and PPE etc. which add to the cost. The actual labour is 30-40 minutes of an analysts time (I'm a slow and clunky PhD level organic chemist doing this in my spare time), but for this amount of work/testing you could expect to pay around $130-150 commercially.
So mix 50/50 wort/isooctane, on shaker for a while, spin down, remove organic fraction and read in spectro?

Is isooctane a commonly used organic solvent? As in, would the chemical stores at your average uni keep it in stock?

That makes more sense. Although ideally you should take the measurement in the same cuvette, unless you're using matched cuvettes. Have you had a go at a commercial beer that you know the IBUs of?

Edit: still learning tapatalk so can't quote, but no it's not a commonly stocked solvent.

Matched in the sense they are both quartz rectangular cells, with equal transmittance above 200 nm, and with a 1 cm path length (which is all Beer's law cares about). The blank is placed in the reference cell holder and is comprised of an isooctane-octanol solution which I leave in the instrument over the course of the day. Some people just leave the reference cell empty though.

professor-farnsworth.jpg

I had a bottle of Pilsner Urquell sitting around that was 3 months past its used by, so I decided to calculate its IBU with an analogous solvent that was in the lab (don't have isooctane).
My prep methods were fairly half arsed, but I calculated an IBU of 37 which is pretty close to the IBU of Pilsner Urquell (~40).

I'll buy a fresh bottle of beer with a known IBU in the next few weeks and give it another go.

Latest posts

Back