Hop Utilisation And Boil Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkmad

Reaction score
Ok, after doing one extract recipe so far, I've just downloaded beersmith to figure out a recipe for an IPA. Anyway, my brewpot is only 10L so I can't do a full sized boil - probably 8L at the most to avoid boilovers. According to beersmith, the hop utilisation for such a small boil volume is very small. What I'm wondering is if there is any way I can get decent bitterness without putting in heaps of bitterness hops? Does the bitterness extraction depend on the volume or the SG or both?

Can I just do an 8L boil with enough extract to give me a SG of say 1.050 with the correct amount of hops for a 23L boil and then add this presumably very bitter mixture to the fermenter with the additional malt extract and water to make up the 23L?

For the record, this is the recipe I'm planning - and yes I know the hops and grain don't fit with the style.

3kg pale extract
1kg vienna grain (mini-mash)
0.1kg crystal grain
30g Hallertau (8.5%) for 60min
10g Hallertau (8.5%) for 30min
60g Hersbrucker (4%) at end of boil

For a full sized boil this gives IBU around 42

Cheers
BK

Bkmad,

you may find this link to a northern brewer thread a helpful one. It seems that you can do that, although i read somewhere else that it may not taste quite the same, but should be ok.

On the other hand, I got a 20litres pot at BigW for about $20. :D

Recipe looks a bit unusual for an IPA, but hell, why not. Sounds good to me. :chug:

Mash your grains, lauter and batch sparge ,add enough xtract to achieve 1050, boil for 60 min with all hop additions,add remaining extract @ Flameout and dissolve,cool add water to final volume required in fermenter,aerate and pitch yeast :) Bob is your proverbial uncle.

Thanks for those links and replies. It seems like I'm on track.
The recipe is a bit strange, but I'm just working with ingredients that I have available except the hops. I heard that the german hops can give a nice clean citrisy finish which I thought would be nice in an IPA.
Anyway thanks for the help.
BK

bkmad said:
Thanks for those links and replies. It seems like I'm on track.
The recipe is a bit strange, but I'm just working with ingredients that I have available except the hops. I heard that the german hops can give a nice clean citrisy finish which I thought would be nice in an IPA.
Anyway thanks for the help.
BK
[post="101372"][/post]​

BK,
If you haven't alraedy got your hops I would get some cascade or amarillo. If its citrus and clean these are the ones you want.

cheers
Darren

BTW, what yeast you using?

BK, i use 9 litres water ,1.5 kg malt and add my hops when it starts to boil,i boil for 45 mins with 50 g POR hops,at 45 mins iturn gas off and add the rest of my extract ,stir in well then cool down in sink alternating between my 2 sinks with cool water,takes about 20 mins to get down in temp ,then i add to fermenter top to 21/23 litres with a good aeration, check temp,then toss yeast in.this gives me plenty of bitterness to the point of being a bit harsh early,but after 8 weeks it is just right for me,basically same as brauluver has said
cheers
fergi

Darren, I've overdone the cascade hops recently and can't get amarillo, so I figured I'd give the hallertau and hersbrucker a go and see how it tastes. I'm just using safale s-04.

Back