'hop Stoppa' For The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wondered. after being in the boil are the hop oils still on the hops are are they floating around within the wort doing their isomerissing there?
Yeah, I might do a bit of a search or start a new thread if I can't find anything.

Here is the pic of my 'Hop Stoppa' in action Jye with pellets, it all contains the sludge nicely and I ended up with 40 litres of The Drunk Arabs English Pale Ale recipe with some nice fresh Challenger hops from Ross & Josh .

Pumpy :)

Hop_stoppa.JPG

hop_stoppa_2_with_hops.JPG

40_litres.JPG

Hop_Stoppa_fitted.JPG

Yeah that's what I try and do, but I can never seem to stir fast enough to get a vortex happening. I might just have a look at setting up a jig for a power drill with a long stir-blade. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier!

You mean this one?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=20221
Not a bad idea (similar to Pumpy's gravel idea a while back) but I'd rather not drill a hole and replumb my kettle base unless I really have to.

Maybe I'll go old-skool and combine the drill stir-blade with a simple SS Scrubby on the end of my pickup tube.

Thanks for your ideas. Will report back :)
Tim

Yeah thats the thread.. people have provided some good info in there. Actually, I'm not sure I explained it properly if you were thinking about having to drill and re-plumb anything... I just meant a bog standard pick-up tube to the bottom of the kettle (with a little hose braid over it) and then toss a shovel full of sand in on top. No re-pumbing or drilling, just sand instead of mesh..

But thats all kinda OT.

Pumpy, you said that the brew with pictures there was all pellets?? How clear did the wort come out? I'm actually not all that concerned about hops.... Although I'd rather not, I can easily use a hop sock for those, I'm mainly concerned abut taking out all the hot break, especially any plate chiller clogging chunks. Would your wort have been clear enough from the start of the drain that you would be happy to run it through a plate chiller?

Thirsty

THirsty ,

did not look into the cubes but they are a lovely 'Golden Glow' cooled overnight

Here is TDA recipe I used so easy used the grain I had

MR Challenger
English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/02/2008
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Brewer: Pumpy
Boil Size: 50.78 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment 40
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.83 kg BB Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 90.00 %
0.87 kg JWM Wheat Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
34.78 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
42.57 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
42.57 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
21.13 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.00 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 29.4 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 9.3 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 8.70 kg
Sparge Water: 37.81 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 22.68 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C

TB reading your post I would not run it through a plate chiller without some pre filter but I dont have ny experiebnce with Plate chillers as I use the No Chill method

Pumpy

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.00 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 29.4 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 9.3 EBC Color: Color

Was this your first go at the "no crack" method Pumpy :lol: :lol:

Cheers Ross

Was this your first go at the "no crack" method Pumpy :lol: :lol:

Cheers Ross

My BeerSmith puts in its own figures , I reckon it had been drinking too much that night :blink:

Finally got a FB in the kettle and it worked pretty well :) Clear wort until the last liter with came out a touch cloudy with fine break. But you can see from the pics that 99.9% of hops (60gm) and break material are still in the kettle. I think it also helped that I recirculate while chilling (chilled to 15C), this probably formed a nice filter bed before draining into the fermenter.

IMG_2262.jpg
IMG_2285.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg

That is very surprising Jye, I never thought those FBs would be able to filter pellets successfully. Now I have another thing to order from Ross....DOH, That wouldn't be one of your QABC beer by any chance?

cheers

Browndog

After seeing pics from Pumpy and Tony I knew it worked but still couldnt believe it until I tried it for myself. I was prepared to move it to the MLT if it didnt work, but now it looks like it will be staying.

I brewed a Blonde ale with only galaxy and technically its probably an APA, so I wont be entering it because I will be one of the judges for that style.

brewed a Blonde ale with only galaxy and technically its probably an APA, so I wont be entering it because I will be one of the judges for that style.
Buddy, I thought the APA was your forte, quite a sacrifice Jye.

cheers

Browndog

Very impressive Jye, but do you use a plate chiller?

Yorg, I use an immersion chiller and would have thought that it was all the cold break helping to form a filter bed. However I know Pumpy 'no chills' and still has success.

IMG_2284.jpg

BD, There are plenty more comps I can enter my APAs in so I would prefer to take the opportunity to judge and instead drink some of the states finest... hopefully Ill get to do it for a number of years to come :)

Is there a problem with getting hops going into your fermenter?

i was told by a very good brewer from a very good little pub in canberra that some hop trub in fermentation is good as it acts as nutrient for the yeast in its early stage of life.

so much so that this particular brewer skoops out 50 odd litres of trub with a bucket after cooling the huge batch of wort and adds it to the large fermenting vessels.

i personally use a Chillout MK3 chiller,whirlpool with a spoon and use no filter on my pickup tube in my kettle and have no problem with pellet goo blocking the chiller. flowers are ok too coz they whirlpool better and dont get sucked into the pickup tube at all- none seem to come out my chiller when im backflushing it.

my 2 cents,cheers dan

i was told by a very good brewer from a very good little pub in canberra that some hop trub in fermentation is good as it acts as nutrient for the yeast in its early stage of life.

Ive heard something along the same lines too. But at our scale (20L) you dont need the large chunks of break material, any of the fine break that makes it past the filter is substantial.

It must be these converted kettles you guys use,perhaps it because the diameter is not as large as a pot but I find whirlpooling is all I need.I use a 60lt and 90lt ally pot.

Batz

Latest posts

Back