'hop Stoppa' For The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I got a 9' Dia false bottom for Christmas to make Warrens Hop Stoppa

I have only tried it on pellets and it works a treat . the pellets still build up and act as a filter around the false bottom

Warren says its even better with Flowers

Pumpy :)

Hop_Stoppa_fitted.JPG

Hey Pumpy, next time you brew with just pellets could you take a pic after draining the kettle, Im really tempted to try a FB.

Hey Pumpy, next time you brew with just pellets could you take a pic after draining the kettle, Im really tempted to try a FB.

OK Jye I was amazed how much it stopped , I have dropped the HS now

Pumpy :)

Jye and Screwy

Just to sort of appease your curiosity. This is a ******* brew I did last Friday to clear my remaining hops from the freezer.
Mix was exactly 50% pellets and 50% plugs. This is as high as I've gone with the false bottom in the kettle thus far. As you can see there's a fair bit of pellet goo starting to saturate the FB. OTOH it ran off to the cubes without a drama.

Personally I'd say using 100% pellets would probably be a bit of a crapshoot. The whole concept scares me frankly.
IMO having some plugs or flowers in the mix is going to set your mind at rest more.

Go 100% pellets at your peril. That said Pumpy seems to have pulled it off. ;)

(Edit: Pumpy are you draining to your fermenter with a pump or just gravity?)

Warren -

DSC02747.JPG

Bumping this thread for Pumpy and anyone else that has used a FB with 100% pellets and has a pic.

Ive got a new false bottom for my kettle and will have it fitted for my next brew. I will post some pick when done

Kabooby :)

Warren ,

Your 'Hopstoppa' could may well become the Standard Achitecture for Kettle drains .

Jye I have been so busy weekends painting , I have not mashed but planning a Night Mash to get some wort in the NCC.

will get those pics of my bottom up soon :eek:

Yo Bro ,

Pumpy

Cant wait :blink:

Think Pumpy has been watching Deliverance. :ph34r:

Jye I'd say you could probably go 100% pellets with a false bottom FWIW I'd say you'd be getting identical value with a dip tube and whirlpooling in this regard though. The holes in a FB (from memory around 3mm) would surely have to pull some pellet residue through your plumbing.

Warren -

Is there a problem with getting hops going into your fermenter?

I've been contemplating a FB for a little while, but have always had a niggling question that I've meant to ask.

I do all the "wrong" things - BIAB, HopSock and NoChill, but it means that I can brew AG with minimal expense and equipment.

With my hop additions, I usually throw any bittering hops (boiling for >30mins) straight into the boiling wort. No hop sock used.
For any remaining additions I use a hop sock made from left-over BIAB swiss violle.
For any flame-out additions I empty the hop-sock @ flamout, add the new flamout hops to the bag, leave for 10mins or so then remove.
I then vigourously stir (no pump) to try and get a whirlpool happening (doesn't seem to make a difference), wait another 10-20mins for everything to settle then gravity transfer to a cube.

The reason (in my mind) why I remove the first batch of hops from the sock, and also why I use the sock in the first place, is so that I can remove the hops at a specific time so they don't continue to isomerise while the wort cools in the kettle and also in the NCC for the next couple of hours.

So my question is, how do people who use FBs and No Chill manage the isomerisation for very late-hop and flame-out additions? Do you still leave the wort to settle for a while?

Also, (and on another topic), is there any easy way to whirlpool in a single vessel without a pump? I can't think of one that doesn't involve another vessel :(

Cheers,
Tim

I've been contemplating a FB for a little while, but have always had a niggling question that I've meant to ask.

I do all the "wrong" things - BIAB, HopSock and NoChill, but it means that I can brew AG with minimal expense and equipment.

With my hop additions, I usually throw any bittering hops (boiling for >30mins) straight into the boiling wort. No hop sock used.
For any remaining additions I use a hop sock made from left-over BIAB swiss violle.
For any flame-out additions I empty the hop-sock @ flamout, add the new flamout hops to the bag, leave for 10mins or so then remove.
I then vigourously stir (no pump) to try and get a whirlpool happening (doesn't seem to make a difference), wait another 10-20mins for everything to settle then gravity transfer to a cube.

The reason (in my mind) why I remove the first batch of hops from the sock, and also why I use the sock in the first place, is so that I can remove the hops at a specific time so they don't continue to isomerise while the wort cools in the kettle and also in the NCC for the next couple of hours.

So my question is, how do people who use FBs and No Chill manage the isomerisation for very late-hop and flame-out additions? Do you still leave the wort to settle for a while?

Also, (and on another topic), is there any easy way to whirlpool in a single vessel without a pump? I can't think of one that doesn't involve another vessel :(

Cheers,
Tim
Tim, there's a whole bunch of questions there!!

as for whirlpooling in a single vessel. you should be able o do it jst by stirring things into a vortex with a spoon... wirlpooling isn't complex..... its just making a vortex and letting the shizz come to a pile in the middle.

Having said that...... I know it works, I watch it work every day at work - but I cant make it work at home...... so I've been exploring different options for getting hops/trub out of my wort. everyone else's methods probably make more sense, but if you are stuck, you can have a look at some of my more recent posts and join me in trub separation wonderland.

Thirsty

Hi Tim,

Why are you not using the hop sock for the bittering?

as for whirlpooling in a single vessel. you should be able o do it jst by stirring things into a vortex with a spoon... wirlpooling isn't complex..... its just making a vortex and letting the shizz come to a pile in the middle.
Yeah that's what I try and do, but I can never seem to stir fast enough to get a vortex happening. I might just have a look at setting up a jig for a power drill with a long stir-blade. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier!

<snip>I've been exploring different options for getting hops/trub out of my wort. everyone else's methods probably make more sense, but if you are stuck, you can have a look at some of my more recent posts and join me in trub separation wonderland.
You mean this one?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=20221
Not a bad idea (similar to Pumpy's gravel idea a while back) but I'd rather not drill a hole and replumb my kettle base unless I really have to.

Maybe I'll go old-skool and combine the drill stir-blade with a simple SS Scrubby on the end of my pickup tube.

Thanks for your ideas. Will report back :)
Tim

I've always wondered. after being in the boil are the hop oils still on the hops are are they floating around within the wort doing their isomerissing there?

Hi Tim,

Why are you not using the hop sock for the bittering?
Because I'm (personally) only using the hop-sock to control hop isomerisation, not to control/limit trub or anything else.

i.e. I'm happy for the bittering hops to keep "bittering", right to the very end, but I want my flavour/aroma hops to stop after 1/5/10/15mins or whatever.

Latest posts

Back