Hop Stand with Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDoesntKnow

Reaction score
I've harvested my fairly modest first year Chinook plants and i'm planning a small brew. I'm thinking pale ale malt, a 60min clean bittering hop addition, like Magnum or Warrior, and then chuck half the Chinook flowers in at flameout and the other half dry hop. I do stovetop BIAB with 19l pot and usually get 11-12l into fermenter. I was thinking of throwing the flameout hops into my hopspider as it's a decent size but i'm not sure how long I should let them sit for and at what temp? I then chill in an ice bath before pitching yeast.
Cheers

I just did a Chinook harvest and I often do hop stands (55lt Keggle) With flowers its takes a little more to get all the Lupulin dispersed from the flowers so I don't use hop spider at all. Rather throw them in to swim free with a bazooka filter fitted inside on the outflow otherwise the flowers will block the tap. I use a stainless steel T bar on a handrill to spin/whirl the hops to release the lupulin properly. Additions were at 10min. Flame out for 30 min then chill to 75c and add the hop stand addition which was the largest addition and held it there at 75c. Spin/whirl etc for another 30min.
The hop stand at 75c will add flavour and aroma with very little IBU. eg. ~3 IBU. from 3g per liter. (120g in a 40lt brew).
Hope that makes sense.

Yep that makes sense cheers, should have mentioned my little 19l pot has no valve. Will just hold 75deg for 30 mins and give it a stir every so often, chill and strain through a pasta strainer into fermenter to remove the flower debris.

Actually now I'm wondering if it would be better to keep them contained in a hop spider so I can give them a bit of mash/squash with a spoon to try and release more flavour?

You can only try and judge the results. I've never tried one because the hop spiders are such a fine gradient I'd imagine a lot of the Lupulin resin sticking to the side rather than getting into the beer.
Its sticky resin is hard to clean off too and it really should be in the beer.
Also the amount of spent hops I tipped out of the empty keggle would have filled a 10lt bucket. Flowers are big and fluffy, hop spiders aren't big enough ha. Just my opinion.

I'd think those large hop socks or BIAB sacks may be better than a spider, maybe.

Latest posts

Back