Hop shots and Thai

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Last beerfest at Kynton, the Royal George Hotel served us compmasters up a feed of Green Thai curry.. being the hop knob I am, I naturally ripped out some liquid hops, the Mouteka extract as I recall.. it was stunning... also may have been drunk, but does that actually matter?

Has anyone else had a go at integrating hops and food?

My mate at work, Chinese fella, got some zomes from me a few years back and they pick the growth on the plant to use in salad.. I get any hops that they produce... win win..

I think hops and flavors have a whole new direction it can go, all new flavors, all new possibilities.. a green curry with simcoe/mosaic/citra?

:icon_drool2:

I admit I might have just gone next level hop adiction but tell me Im ******* wrong... try it..

I've eaten fresh shoots and tips. Like Asparagus shoots but they taste nothing like the hop flowers or Asparagus. No bitterness, but they are nice and juicy and tender. Like sweet grass shoots really.
Never had hop shots I'll have to get some.

Yob, what was what your dosing for the plate? Or was it more of a "she'll be right I've had ten beers" sort of application.

I'm making curry this weekend and just got some hop shots in your massive fire-sale.

From memory it was a bit of dose, then dose again till I could taste it.. Heavier than you would for a glass that's for sure

;)

3 pellets of Amarillo in the group-head of my coffee maker, along with the ground coffee beans.

Drink it espresso.

You know you wanna.

I like chilli sauces, but often find that many are just hot and without much character. Hops can fix that!

My most recent "version up" was something called Smokey Hickory BBQ sauce from Woolies. It had a bit of heat, some sweetness, plenty of vinegar and bugger all smoke flavour. I took about 150-200mL of that sauce (most of the bottle) and combined with 5 pellets of Columbus and 3 pellets of Centennial soaked in a couple of spoons of rye porter. It ended up awesome. Served it over a steak cooked in the smoker with some hickory wood chips and apple chunks, on burgers later in the week and then with BBQ chicken on the weekend. And it was gone!

I can totally see how the hopshots could be an interesting twist. Pair something like Nelson Sauvin or Citra with a spicy Thai beef salad. Motueka with satay sauce.

The other day I was thinking of making a fresh spag bol and using citra pellets instead of basil . thought I was just drunk

maybe not ? well I was but maybe it wasn't a bad idea like I thought at the time

Latest posts

Back