Hop schedule for 12L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
I need help figuring out the hop additions for a 12L batch of wheat beer.. I haven't made it yet. it will be BIAB
est O.G 1.049
est F.G 1.009

I am thinking I want to get around 15 IBU, I really want to be able to taste the apricot and melon they describe.

1.5kg Wheat Malt
1kg Pilsner
Summer hop pellets
us-05 yeast as 1L yeast starter

How many grams should I add and at what times, I was looking at the Brewers Friend calculator and came up with additions of 5grams each at 60, 20, 10 and 0mins, but having never done this before I have no idea how this would actually taste, I don't want cat piss.

opinions and advice welcome and appreciated.

What type of wheat beer are you hoping to brew?

IMO...

15 ibu using us-05 and that grain bill will be a very bland beer.

15 ibu would be what id aim for doing a wit with the addition of herbs etc with a speciality wheat yeast such as wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit.

if you are wanting more hop flavour add more at that 10 and 0 additions.

If it were me I would keep it simpler than that and just do an addition at 20 minutes for about half the IBUs and then another addition for the remaining IBUs at 5 minutes. Maybe dry hop about 1g/L for a few days.

I've made something similar with a mix of galaxy and summer, came out really nice using recultured cooper's yeast.

Edit: maybe bump up the IBUs to about 20 or 25.

thanks for quick reply timmi,

I was planning on putting some of it on Raspberries, I have been wanting to try a fruit beer for a long time now and I see most people use raspberries, and I heard wheat beers were good for this sort of thing.

I suppose it would be an American style wheat beer,.

I will go with your advice then and increase the 10 and 0 additions.. would you say double what I had? I don't mind it the IBUs go up to 20 but didn't really want to go over that.

That forbidden fruit sounds nice.. I will look at getting some.
I have a smack pack of Dennys favourite, but I don't know if it would be any good for wheat beer.

thanks for you reply btrots, yes dry hopping I was looking at that too, but I have no idea of when or how I would do this.

I have read that some people put boiling water on and then just chuck the whole lot in..

so would I add the dry hops after 4 days of fermentation? and keep them in for like what 3days?

There's lots of different opinions regarding dry hopping. Personally I just throw them in once I think the beer is about 80% fermented (based off the expected FG).

No need for boiling water, just throw them straight in. Leave maybe 3-5 days then cold crash if it's finished fermenting.

again IMO,

putting it on raspberries will add a tart flavour which will help with the lack of bitterness in your current recipe. double, maybe even triple the 10 and 0 additions depending on how much hop flavour you want, keeping in mind how tart the raspberries are? you need to balance the two

Thank you btrots and timmi, you have both given me some great advice.. I will order some forbidden fruit yeast and get started on this..

off topic but regarding the raspberry flavour, could I make a syrup of the bulk priming sugar and the raspberries and would that carry enough flavour, or is it better to put the beer on the fruit to achieve better flavour.. getting the balance of tartness will be the challenge as timmi said.. the amount of berries I was thinking of would have been about 300g for 4-5L experimental batch. The remaining beer would just be Wheat beer flavoured with Summer hops.

No worries Chookers, hope it turns out well. I've never made a raspberry wheat myself so I'm not sure about the priming sugar question. I suspect the answer is probably to rack the beer on to the fruit for a few days but hopefully someone with more experience can confirm/refute my suggestion.

Alternatively there might be a thread somewhere on AHB that answers your question.

Back