Hop Rhizomes Planted,

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
just put my rhizomes into some pots now the sun is coming out and making things all nice and warm during the day , but just wanted to double check that i got my information correct and havent messed everything up , i have layed the rhisomes on the side with buds pointing upwards as best as possible and then covered them with about 1-2 inches of potting mix .. gave them a gentle spray of water to help settle the soil/mix

HAVE I DONE THINGS AS THEY SHOULD BE DONE OR SHOULD I HAVE THEM STANDING UPRIGHT ???

i know this has probably been cover before a thousand time but ive got into a bit of a panic that i might have stuffed up and just wanted to be sure i havent ..

thanks for any help in advance....

Cheers Ned..

just put my rhizomes into some pots now the sun is coming out and making things all nice and warm during the day , but just wanted to double check that i got my information correct and havent messed everything up , i have layed the rhisomes on the side with buds pointing upwards as best as possible and then covered them with about 1-2 inches of potting mix .. gave them a gentle spray of water to help settle the soil/mix

HAVE I DONE THINGS AS THEY SHOULD BE DONE OR SHOULD I HAVE THEM STANDING UPRIGHT ???

i know this has probably been cover before a thousand time but ive got into a bit of a panic that i might have stuffed up and just wanted to be sure i havent ..

thanks for any help in advance....

Cheers Ned..

Hi Barra,
What you've done sounds the same as I've done. Don't worry too much as everyone says they are weeds . I put some plant starter from bunnings on them every now and then .

Buster

Hahahaha, no drama, i was actually looking forawrd to hearing this answered as i just shoved my rhizome in some black dirt in the ground and covered it up, this little shoot heads are taking their sweet damned time in growing and i'm growing anxious.

Hahahaha, no drama, i was actually looking forawrd to hearing this answered as i just shoved my rhizome in some black dirt in the ground and covered it up, this little shoot heads are taking their sweet damned time in growing and i'm growing anxious.

I can't help myself either every couple of days I have to roll back the pea straw and check for shoots too. Only one looking like going out of four . I have put one in side on a kitchen bench in a cup to see if the warmth and extra light hasten the sprouting .

gonna do a fertaliser and seasol and mulch this weekend, i havent been a good parent.

All mine planted as Barra mentioned ,All except the Columbus were up weeks ago, noticed today to my delight the columbus has just broken ground.The Tettanang is well over 3 feet high!
GB

All mine planted as Barra mentioned ,All except the Columbus were up weeks ago, noticed today to my delight the columbus has just broken ground.The Tettanang is well over 3 feet high!
GB

Yeah, my Tetnang is going crazy, got a cascade in the post at the moment - will be going into the ground this weekend with some fertiliser and good quality potting mix

GB

Must be something about Columbus! Mine just broke ground too (first year planting). One tiny purple shoot. Woohoo! :super:

Hopper.

thanks for that guys , now the waiting game begins , will get some seasol on the weekend and give them a dose , do you mix it up as per on the pack or a weaker/stronger mix

Relax Big Barra they'll be fine sideways.

Just mix the seasol as it says on the pack and dont give it to them too often otherwise they'll rely on it.

My tett, cacscade and colombus have all just started shooting again, same pots as last year, same mulch, same soil. Hardy lil barsteads they are.

ummm hey i got my chinook in (i know its late, but . . . )

now -

on the stick, the short white things are the roots and the longer brown things are the shoots, yeah?

or did i just plant it upside down??!!!!??

(please advise - its only been in the g round 24 hours, and if i've stuffed up i'd better fix it soon!)

mfdu

ummm hey i got my chinook in (i know its late, but . . . )

now -

on the stick, the short white things are the roots and the longer brown things are the shoots, yeah?

or did i just plant it upside down??!!!!??

(please advise - its only been in the g round 24 hours, and if i've stuffed up i'd better fix it soon!)

mfdu
Sounds right to me. If the shoots are long enough, you could leave them poking out of the soil. My Chinook was like that, but the shoots were purple (probably due to cold weather and subsequent lack of Phosphorus uptake).

ok cool. so shoots = long thin and brown. roots = short, fat and white.

lock and load, people!

That sounds like the opposite to me.

The roots should taper off to very thin stringy tips.

The shoots should have a rounded tip and more uniform thickness, should look kind of 'cleaner' and 'newer'.

If in doubt, I'd suggest laying it sideways and letting it find it's own direction.

i bloody knew i'd done it wrong.

*sigh* i guess thats why i was asking.

right. theres one way to fix this. *rolls up sleeves*

Latest posts

Back