Hop Rhizome Ebay Madness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd really love to plant some Rhizomes, although they don't seem to be popular in Sydney? If I got some, I'd be happy to grow then share them.

I'd really love to plant some Rhizomes, although they don't seem to be popular in Sydney? If I got some, I'd be happy to grow then share them.

Mike I might be able to give you one, although not sure which it is.

Duff kindly dug up his rhizomes and gave them to people from the Hills brewers before he moved up to FNQ. :beer:

Mike I might be able to give you one, although not sure which it is.

Duff kindly dug up his rhizomes and gave them to people from the Hills brewers before he moved up to FNQ. :beer:

Chinook and columbus.

Sadly my dog dug up and ate mine :(

I made a barrier staked to the ground, but she pulled down the fence to get to it!

I have relocated my growing garden to a place where she can't get to. The columbus couldn't be saved but the chinook has a fighting chance, but not lookin very good at all :(

If any HBG members have some hallertau of cascade rhizomes they would like to sell, please PM me. I don't mind paying a fair price for the effort. I have been watching every eBay auction and simply haven't bidded. Other bidders are going nuts!

Jazza,

I know they are Columbus and Chinook, but can't remember which is in which pot :( .

I will have to ask Duff which one he gave me last to figure it out. I know I got 3 rhizomes of one of them, so I may be able to give you one as well.

Gordon Ramsay... this is an emotive little issue isn't it?

I was one of the nutters that got on Ebay for Cascade although it didn't get as high as some. Being an avid gardener I'm keen to grow as much as I can for my use in my own garden and I am happy to pay a bit more to get what I want. I'll use that little bugger to take cuttings and split off a few rhizomes as I have done already with my Chinook, Columbus and Cluster (cuttings only at this stage). The Wurtemburger didn't do so well yr 1. And bugger me if after I've handed them out to mates (already done a few cuttings) and AHBer's willing to collect or pay for postage (or swap because I'd love to get hold of some different varieties) I'll bung em on ebay too. If any one uses thoses I have given away to sell them for ridiculous prices, more power to them.

I'm up for a rhizome register...up for doing what I can to share what i can around as well. I'll have a look to see how my cuttings have fared the autumn shortly. To get the ball rolling on a AHB list of Rhizomes and willing participants I have:

Chinook ( bloody nice in a simple ale with 30m, 15m and flamout additions)
Cluster
Columbus
Wurtemburger
Cascade (when it arrives)

For the Sydney Guys:

I have a Tettnanger that I BOUGHT from Andrew Lock that has been in the ground for 2 Years. I am planning to dig it up & move it this weekend and should have a few rhizomes to spare.

To be completely honest, It hasn't produced that many flowers, <_< but I am not the world's best gardener either. It might do better with some more love & attention, particularly if you know how to fend off those blessed spider mites!

I'd be happy to hand a few on to brewing bretheren for pickup or cost of postage. Even happier to swap some for any variety other than Chinook (which I have just put in). PM me.

For the Sydney Guys:

I have a Tettnanger that I BOUGHT from Andrew Lock that has been in the ground for 2 Years. I am planning to dig it up & move it this weekend and should have a few rhizomes to spare.

To be completely honest, It hasn't produced that many flowers, <_< but I am not the world's best gardener either. It might do better with some more love & attention, particularly if you know how to fend off those blessed spider mites!

I'd be happy to hand a few on to brewing bretheren for pickup or cost of postage. Even happier to swap some for any variety other than Chinook (which I have just put in). PM me.

Spider mites can be controlled with white oil or if you want an organic approach, mix up oil, water and handsoap (i also throw in garlic, chilli and pyrethrum) and spray that over the plant and particularly under the leaves.

For the Sydney Guys:

PM Sent

Spider mites can be controlled with white oil or if you want an organic approach, mix up oil, water and handsoap (i also throw in garlic, chilli and pyrethrum) and spray that over the plant and particularly under the leaves.

Thanks Doc

PM s sent to all who responded earlier and I have 2 Tettnanger left that I'd like to swap for anything other than Chinook. Anyone interested?

Cheers

Mike

Something strange going on with the ebay sales.

One guy, hopswest is getting massive sales even when there are reasonably priced items available as well.

compare this goldings at $46 with this one at $11.

Self bidding perhaps?

hopswest is a good guy

If you look at the adds, one looks "amateurish" and the other has a bunch on info and the Rhizome looks alot better

Also, wait and see what the final pricing gets to - you can't really tell anything part way through an auction

hopswest is a good guy

If you look at the adds, one looks "amateurish" and the other has a bunch on info and the Rhizome looks alot better

Also, wait and see what the final pricing gets to - you can't really tell anything part way through an auction

Both have info and both look amateur IMHO. (but hey it is ebay)
Nah, the real difference seems to be location.

I will NOT post rhizomes to Western Australia because the plant import entry requirements for this state are onerous and costly. It is possible to send rhizomes to WA but I will only consider posting rhizomes to Western Australia if someone or a group of people are considering a bulk buy - this will help spread the import costs. However, if you are from WA and considering a bulk buy of hop rhizomes, you must contact me in the first instance so that you are aware of the costs and conditions required prior to entry into WA.

Looks like there are some keen buyers in WA driving up the prices.

ive still got some left if anyone is interested in buying them.

hopswest is a good guy

what the amateurish looking ones :lol:

I'm one of the masses that feels a bit ripped off; I paid 45 bucks for my Cascade last year.....mind you, it was bloody massive.
I have a Hersbrucker just gone in the dirt, will be happy to swap next year if all goes well.

Back