Hop Rhizome Ebay Madness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for those wanting to buy , theres always guys on the forum selling them at reasonable prices ... i just got 4 in the post from Gryphon Brewing for $105 delivered ..theyre not a massive rhizome like some being sold on ebay but they will grow all the same ....

another one selling them on here is gilbrew , and many others offering swaps ..

If there is anyone like me and they are starting for the first time, see if you can pick up a freebie. Hops from what I have read can be a bit fiddly if your geographics are not right.

BYB

I fail to see anything wrong with what this particular Ebay seller has done. The items were listed at a reasonable starting price so he wasn't taking advantage or ripping anyone off.

To me the ones at fault are the bidders, if they are too silly to realise they are paying too much then it's their problem and the sellers good fortune to boot.

And why the hell should the seller offer his items to other homebrewers on this site first or give them away for that matter, surely he or she is entitled to make a few bucks if they can.

I'd be very surprised if anyone here would be prepared to "stop the bidding" on an item they were selling on ebay because they were going to make a killing on the auction. It would be different if the Rhyzomes were listed with a starting bid of $98.00, but they weren't

Andrew

i think the fact be was orignally given the rhizomes through this site for free may have something to do with it

& i personlly think its not within the spirit of what this site all about but then thats just IMO

I have given away many things over the years here on AHB as have many others and I could care less what happens to them when they leave my hands.

The spirit of this site is what you give to it, not what you expect from it.

Andrew

without being rude andrew you sound like the type of bloke that would sell rhizomes on ebay

my policy is to only sell what youve paid for in the first place , dont sell what ya didnt pay for ....
ive paid for my rhizomes so in my book im free to do with them what i please, not that i intend to sell them anyway i just wanna grow them ...

I'm with Andrew, the market has caused the silly prices, not the seller. There's many business around that make a living from getting something cheap and selling it for a lot more. I don't necessarily agree 100% with what the seller's doing, but it's better than him just sitting on them, or letting them rot in the ground.

newbie here, been lurking for ages, only done about a dozen or so k&k brews. I too would have like to try and grow hops myself in the interets of DIY only downside is living on brisbane but afterall that is what homebrew is all about. Hopefully it will all settle down as more are available hope it's better next year for hop availablity

without being rude andrew you sound like the type of bloke that would sell rhizomes on ebay

If I had some I'll be chucking them on ebay

Batz

I'm with Andrew, the market has caused the silly prices, not the seller. There's many business around that make a living from getting something cheap and selling it for a lot more. I don't necessarily agree 100% with what the seller's doing, but it's better than him just sitting on them, or letting them rot in the ground.

I didn't know he was starting a business, that is the main point. A lot brewers missed out because he took a giveaway and started a business. If I had of known, then he would have been last on the list. He didn't get all his hops from me, but he did get cascade, chinook and victoria and he always intended to start a business.

I don't want much from my giveaways, only that the favour be passed along to other AHBers with the hope that one day you only have to ask the question and someone will have a rhizome that they are willing to give you for cost of postage.

another ebayer Lochrockingbeers and I have swapped rhizomes a number times and I knew he was going to sell, but I swapped with him, it wasn't a giveaway and I benefited.

Maybe I am misguided or ignorant of other people's values, but I just didn't expect people to behave like this.

I don't expect my rant/whinge on here will effect his business this year and I don't have enough giveaways to make a dent this year. But I will do something about it, look out next season, I am going into full swing propagating and all will be given away on here for the cost of postage. At the moment, supply and demand are in his favour. His business model is about to go tits up!

haha

this is nuts.
I just pot a few rhizomes and offer up for free pickup. Sorry i'm too lazy to post.

cheers
johnno

this is a good way to make a list of AHBers blackbanned from giveaways. Anyone else want to step forward?

Hey Kirem, I'm sorry you feel shafted but that's going a bit too far.
You gave some rhizomes to a brewer ( very generously too) who has planted, cultivated, pruned, dug up, spilt up and now has put them on ebay to sell, nothing wrong with that. You should feel happy that you helped someone go one step further.

I remember a brewday at the Batz cave, every one in attendance went home with at least 1 hop cutting.

The day AHB members get blackband by other members will be a sad one on this forum indeed.
Like I said before "
The spirit of this site is what you give to it, not what you expect from it."

Andrew

If someone wants to pay $98 bucks for a coupla rhizomes then half the sellers luck.
I personally bought some chinook zomes from Gilbrew for alot less and got some fresh flowers to boot. They might not even grow in my garden but that is my choice to buy and give it a go.
Did the seller sell them to someone from this forum?
Lets just hope the seller spends his $98 bucks with one of the sponsors eh.

I just hope with all the new-found interest in growing hops that it will stimulate the hop plant trade and we may in a few years be seeing new varieties that have successfully been imported, mainly because the demand we are seeing gives people confidence that it is worth there while putting into the industry. I for one can't wait to see some of the varieties available overseas available over here.

While it sucks in the meantime for those who want to get growing, i think next year will be a different story.

Q

The day AHB members get blackband by other members will be a sad one on this forum indeed.
Like I said before "
The spirit of this site is what you give to it, not what you expect from it."

Andrew

your right Andrew, I am very frustrated that someone has a made a mockery of sharing and this forum and AHBers aren't what it used to be.

I have to agree with Andrew, but then I sell a few when I have them every second year or so! Mind you at $13 a throw - I aint making diddly profit, but it allows me to buy some new bit of brewing kit. This year my profits will go towards a new kettle. I think the question is - what is reasonable?

I like to keep it nominal, and relative to what our northern hemisphere brethren pay at, for instance, freshhops or northern brewer - around US$8-9. I think that is a bargain price and a modest return for your efforts.

Having said that, you are well within you rights to personally feel jipped if someone is flogging off what you gave in good faith though. But, so what. The value of anything is what people WANT to pay. That is a free market I suppose.

It may be poor form, but then, some might also say that owning a online brew store and being really active in brewing forums is also a bit dodgy. Me, I dont care, and why should you, as we are operating as a supportive community overall, full stop.

The charlatans stand out like dogs balls and in the end disappear because the community finds them out and refuse to deal with them. The Karma Brewbus will always hunt you down sooner or later. ;)

Anyway, enough from me.

Back