Hop Rhizome Ebay Madness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Argh, the world has gone made!

Last year I got two rhizomes from Cannabacea for $25 each!

I was watching one pair of rhizomes on ebay and got the alert that they had sold for $98!!!!

Thinking that the "hop shortage" has made people more desperate than they should be! Everyone should be using an eBay SNIPE service such as Gixen to stop the prices from escalating so far/fast, it avoids the "heat of the moment" bidding! No affiliation, just an active user.

i dont think its the shortage at all. i reckon its just the "cool and hip" thing to be doing right now if your a home brewer. heaps more people know about growing hops this year.

It does seem to be out of control

Maybe prices are following oil prices - dunno...

But ebay always seems to sell things at highly inflated prices - perhaps bidders have more cents than sense - But I'm continually amazed at some the final prices of some auctions I watch

Cheers

I was watching that one as well, and was VERY surprised at how much it ended up selling for.

I don't think that using a snipe would have made much difference, as that winning bidder would have had that price in their max bid.

You would certainly want that rhizome to yield a lot of cones to get your monies worth.

You would certainly want that rhizome to yield a lot of cones to get your monies worth.

Right!! $45 would buy half a kilo of the same off Ross, and I am sure you could work a deal with him for half a kilos worth of each cascade and chinook. Be a couple of years supply, depending on how many APA's you brew.

you recon $98.00 is pricey i just had a look on ebay & some nut paid $168.00 + $9.00 delivery :lol: for a cascade & hersbrucker & from what i have read aussie grown cascade tastes heaps different to the usa cascade were use to

Argh, the world has gone made!

Last year I got two rhizomes from Cannabacea for $25 each!

I was watching one pair of rhizomes on ebay and got the alert that they had sold for $98!!!!

No offence but I find even paying $25 for a rhizome a litle rich. Recently went and saw GMK and dug up one of his that he could not get to grow. The rhizome was around two-three years old and he said have it!! Would be at least enough there for 4-6 seperate rhizomes. But I suppose it is a sellers market. Fancy some nutter :wacko: paying $100+

BYB

Been watching all the rhizomes on ebay for a while as i would like some but the prices are ridiculous
over$50 for one and close to $100 for two doesn;t look like i will be growing hops this year :(

Got a free POR rhizome from Wally at the case swap last year. Took it out of its pot yesterday to plant in the ground and its the size of a soccer ball with literally dozens and dozens of roots and shoots going everywhere.

Could split it and sell/swap and make money or keep it all to myself and have kgs of POR flowers.......

All mine.

I have been amazed at the prices as well. As others have said, the prices dont seem to be justifiable as bulk purchasing of hops is cheaper thru the sponsors. And you get a wide variety of hops rather than large amounts of one.

I wonder if we will see hop flowers on ebay before too long ........

I won't be buying any this year......full stop. This price escalation ending starts with the consumers drawing the line somewhere. Fraser John and Eric have it on the button - there is a point of diminishing returns where you are better off to just buy the hops and forgo the drama of trying to grow them....(not that we all buy them to just get the hops, but growing them was always a luxury......)

What a shame...

Empasises the importance of what Wally did last year....SHARING....(Cheers Wally, you're a legend :) ) If I have any spare whan I get to doing mine, I will be sharing, not selling.

Empasises the importance of what Wally did last year....SHARING....(Cheers Wally, you're a legend :) ) If I have any spare whan I get to doing mine, I will be sharing, not selling.

Absolutely agree, next winter I am going to dig up my tett and goldings and split off some rhizomes and offer them for free via this site. Its the only way that I can see of achieving my own goal of brewing my own beer with having my own hand involved in as many parts of it as possible! It is a luxury to grow your own, but I love my vegie garden, native garden, orchard and vineyard as much as my beer and I really want to be able to grow at least 6 varieties, but I guess its gonna have to wait till we can swap freely a bit more :(

I won't be buying any this year......full stop. This price escalation ending starts with the consumers drawing the line somewhere. Fraser John and Eric have it on the button - there is a point of diminishing returns where you are better off to just buy the hops and forgo the drama of trying to grow them....(not that we all buy them to just get the hops, but growing them was always a luxury......)

What a shame...

Absolutely and give it a couple of months and I will be doing what I have done in the past and giving away slices of spare rhizomes for the cost of postage.

Shame on that particular ebay seller that took a slice of rhizome from a previous sharing giveaway and started a business from that.

Anyone considering purchasing rhizomes at these crazy prices please wait and see what I have to offer soon. I will endeavour to share my collection fairly and evenly and burst this little bubble.

Shame on that particular ebay seller that took a slice of rhizome from a previous sharing giveaway and started a business from that.

Anyone considering purchasing rhizomes at these crazy prices please wait and see what I have to offer soon. I will endeavour to share my collection fairly and evenly and burst this little bubble.

I agree that it is a shame, but certainly not all his fault if someone wants to pay $100 +.

I will certainly be waiting to see if you split some rhizomes Kirem, especially if you have some Cascade.

Cheers

yep its a shame when you need to bend over your fellow home brewers to make a buck especially as its a member doing it thankfully not all your members are like this ( i brought 2 19lt kegs off mischa on the weekend for $50 the pair if he had put them on ebay instead of ahb im sure hed have got more)

Anyone wanta swap any rhizomes for some yeast slants (San Fransisco Lager, Mexican Lager, soon I will also have- Californian Ale, Edinburgh Ale) - all propigated from Whitelabs yeasts.

Dr Smurto,

If you have spare POR you'd be interested to know that last week some nutter paid $87 for one Pride of Ringwood. Nice hop and all for CUB style bevvies and the odd addition to a stout, but I dunno - wouldn't get me paying that.

Hopper

you know, if you really wanted to sop the ebay overpriced selling sham, flood the supply. nearly everyone here seems to have some rhizomes. just add a max bid of say $25 (or whatever's fair) with a note in there somewhere stating that any more is just a rip off.

but yeah, i just started growing this year. i will definitly be spreading the love later :D

This is slightly off topic but still ebay and homebrewing relevant...

Before i got my bench capper, i was watching a few on ebay, and a SECOND HAND automatica sold for something like $60-65 excluding postage

I ended up getting mine for $46 ($50 minus a staff discount because one of my friends works at kmart) ... brand new of course

I'm pretty sure half the people using ebay just assume that it's always cheaper to buy on there, no matter what it is they're buying....

Anyways, thats me done, back to rhizome talk!

Sponge

+1 sponge - or they are lazy and can't be arsed looking around -- or love the ebay buying thrill (or something like that)

DrSmurto, that's good news. I was wondering how all the hops were going.

Wally

Mine's fine .. but I planted it in the ground straight away. No flowers but I'm betting it will shoot away come spring.
BTW - anyone got space saving tips for growing hops?
With the cluster and POR on the fence, that's it for me unless I can think of somewhere else to put them without ruining the garden. I thought about growing them upto the eaves on the north side, but that side of the house is a narrow path and the fence will shade them for the first 6 feet or so.

Back