Hop Question - Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliasp

Reaction score
I really love Knappstein Clare Valley Lager, i notice they say they use Sauvin hops, which im assuming are the same as Nelson Sauvin i have seen on some websites.

Has anyone used these hops before in any brews? If so what were they like? i am a big fan of American Pale Ales, and was thinking of using the Sauvin Hop as it does have a real good citrus / floral flavour to it. I am also going to use 1272 American Ale 2 yeast for the first time, previously it has been with 1056 American Ale. i

On that subject, would Sauvin be a good one to blend with perhaps a Cascade or Amarillo, or another type?

Your thoughts are apprieciated, im still on the early days of my home brew career, but really loving it!

I think the nelson sauvin flavours would get drowned out by cascade or amarillo.. Just use them on their own IMO

I think the nelson sauvin flavours would get drowned out by cascade or amarillo.. Just use them on their own IMO

I think it'll be quite a fight, but the NS might just win out...

I have used NS for bittering and flavor with Cascade for flavor, works very nicely. 1272 is a great yeast also and I am enjoying the pales I have used it in.

Gavo.

I have used it in conjunction with Cascade to create my "Chubby Yak" as a fat yak clone.

Came out quite tasty.

On that subject, would Sauvin be a good one to blend with perhaps a Cascade or Amarillo, or another type?

I have comdined those two hops in the past and must admit the aroma was fantastic. Almost the same as using straight Galaxy. I would suggest you go easy on over using the NS as I have found the aroma and taste can dominate. Either you like it or not.

Cheers
BYB

NS can be a little over powering. I'd suggest making a single hop NS beer to get the feel for it. Try NS summer ale from the recipe database. In my opinion NS is something you either love or hate.

Knappstein has very little hop flavour compared to what you will get from using NS in most AG beers.

I will second everything that has been said.

I would suggest a carefully calculated bittering addition, then a good whack at flameout or very late boil - but you must chill to stop isommerisation.

I found that the "flavour" component was not exactly what I was chasing and it was surprisingly bitter for quantities (perceived or real IBU I am unsure), so use with a light touch.

I brew a very drinkable PA with just NS, 3x 30g additions , 60,20,0 ... must brew more empty kegs all over the place.. Oh thats 40lt batch...

I have a NS APA in the fermenter now, should be bottling this weekend.

2 x 1.8 LME
250g Carawheet steeped
60 min Super Alpha to get about 35IBU
30g NS at 20min
30g NS at 5min
40g dry hopped for a week
Used US-05

It smells pretty good, just waiting on a bottling day taste test.

I have used it in conjunction with Cascade to create my "Chubby Yak" as a fat yak clone.

Came out quite tasty.

:icon_offtopic: Any chance of a recipe Pollux? I'm a fan of the Yak.

Im going nuts, I thought Pollux was just nuts!

Why is there two threads?

:icon_offtopic: Any chance of a recipe Pollux? I'm a fan of the Yak.

No worries

Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 26.73 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.6
IBU Brewhouse
Efficiency: 55.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 90.09 %
0.40 kg Crystal Malt -Bairds (110.0 EBC) Grain 7.21 %
0.15 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 2.70 %
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

The hops were close but it needed more of a malt background.......Now that I have fixed the eff issues I was having back then I'll be re-doing the recipe.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yeah, i was lacking in a range of malts back then, but have since stocked up....

I've made a few APAs, one IPA and an american BW with various proportions of Nelson Sauvin mixed with predominantly american hops. They all turned out great. Be careful with the amount of NS you use as it can dominate. I went no higher than 40% NS by weight and as low as about 20%. Even at 40% they were front & center.

Can anyone suggest a commercial brew that uses only NS. I want to try befor I brew because of the like it or you dont thing. Dan Murph or 1st choice probably my best chance to buy from. I have asked at counter but they dont know jack. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Knappstien is a brew that uses only NS. Tasty too!

Back