Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering,
Should I cut any remaining unyielding bines off my hops now?

I have my hop plants in pots i cut the bines off a few inches from the ground at the beggining of winter. They stayed green and a few shoots popped up but now most if not all the shoots have died off. Is this normal? Is the rhizome still alive underground and just "hybernating" over the winter?

Im just hoping they havent died.

- Hopsta

Just wondering,
Should I cut any remaining unyielding bines off my hops now?
sinkas,
After I harvested the cones I cut mine down to the ground around April, May.

cheers
johnno

I have my hop plants in pots i cut the bines off a few inches from the ground at the beggining of winter. They stayed green and a few shoots popped up but now most if not all the shoots have died off. Is this normal? Is the rhizome still alive underground and just "hybernating" over the winter?

Im just hoping they havent died.

- Hopsta

The plant was goin for one last hurragh b4 it went dormant(hence the dead shoots).
ground temp has a lot to do with what will trigger a bulb or rhizome into dormancy or into action.
a scratch around the surface at the top of the rhizome will probably show some bud swells(around the site of the old shoots) that will become new shoots come spring.

Dormant, thats the word i was looking for, bears hybernate not plants! :)
Thanks Brauluver!

- Hopsta

You can buy rhizomes online (www.grumpys.com.au is one place) or if you're lucky, you might be able to get a cutting or rhizome from someone on this board. A few people have already offered cuttings in this thread.

They're planted around the end of winter.

This may already have been mentioned in the preceding 30 pages, but....

Does anyone know where to get hold of hop Rhizomes in Melbourne?

I would love to get hold of some.

(Chris and Mare's Hello hello? :blink: Melb joke)

ATOMT

You can buy rhizomes online (www.grumpys.com.au is one place) or if you're lucky, you might be able to get a cutting or rhizome from someone on this board. A few people have already offered cuttings in this thread.

They're planted around the end of winter.

This may already have been mentioned in the preceding 30 pages, but....

Does anyone know where to get hold of hop Rhizomes in Melbourne?

I would love to get hold of some.

(Chris and Mare's Hello hello? :blink: Melb joke)

ATOMT

ATOMT
I will be ripping out my POR later this year, probably around the end of August for burial at the new house.
There will probably be some of the rhizome spare if you want some.
PM me if interested.

johnno

Latest posts

Back