Hop Pillow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
hi,

I was thinking of make a hop pillow to see if it helps with sleep / relaxation. Hopefully the aromas won't actually distract me from sleep!
Anyway is it actually the aromas or the oils which aid sleep? Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

I'm assuming that hop flowers would be the best option and go with aroma hops?? or maybe hops with higher oil content???

Anyway would be good to hear others experiences.

Thanks

I had a dream I consumed a lot of IPA last night; I awoke to find my pillow missing :p :p

QldKev

It'd definitely be the aroma, but I'm not really sure how hops would help??

put the hops in beer.. :super:
drink lots of it... :icon_drunk:
you sleep... -_-

Hop pickers used to tire easily. This has lead to the reputation that hop has sedative and calming effects. The sedative activity of hop is caused by 2-methyl-3-buten-2-ol, which can be present in the hop is formed during digestion. Hop is a central nervous relaxant used to treat insomnia. Hop pillows are often used to induce sleep.
Patchy source, I know, but possibly some useful information.

Find a hop that has high levels of 2-methyl-3-buten-2-ol?

I can't imagine the hop pillow would last terribly long though. Not just that one would be tempted to nibble on it, but the aroma would dissipate fast at room temps.

It'd definitely be the aroma, but I'm not really sure how hops would help??

Taken from Wikipedia (Hops):

"Hops are also used in herbal medicine in a way similar to valerian, as a treatment for anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia.[23] A pillow filled with hops is a popular folk remedy for sleeplessness. Hops may be used alone, but more frequently they are combined with other herbs, such as valerian. The relaxing effect of hops is largely due to a specific chemical component: dimethylvinyl carbinol."

Taken from http://www.wildcrafted.com.au/Botanicals/Hops.html

"Hops have been shown to have mild sedative properties. Many herbal preparations for insomnia combine hops with more potent sedative herbs, such as valerian.

Hops are most commonly used for their calming effect on the nervous system. Hop tea is recommended for nervous diarrhea, insomnia, and restlessness. It will also help to stimulate appetite, dispel flatulence, and relieve intestinal cramps. It can be usefully combined with valerian for coughs and nervous spasmodic conditions. The cold tea, taken an hour before meals, is particularly good for digestion. Hops also have diuretic properties and can be taken for various problems with water retention and excess uric acid. A hop pillow is a popular method of overcoming insomnia. (Sprinkle hops with alcohol and fill a small bag or pillowcase with them.)"

is that why after 1 beer I feel really sleepy?
I usually need 2-6 more after the first to keep from falling asleep

Taken from Wikipedia (Hops):
Hops also have diuretic properties and can be taken for various problems with water retention and excess uric acid.
umm someone screwed the pooch with this. excess uric acid is a symptom and made worse by dehydration. a diuretic will make the problem worse. which is why they used to associate gout with drinking. gout being a build up of uric acid.

anyways. nfi how you going to make a pillow out of hops. you'd regulkarly have to change the hops or add hop oil to continue to get the aromas. i just put lavander oil straight onto my pillow. and of course as an insomniac that new age stuff doesnt work and i take sleeping pills anyway.

probably not much help to you beer007. sorry

That's interesting!

I imagine you could make it work the same as you would with lavendar or any oil?? Could you extract the oil from the hops and then put it on your pillow??

That's interesting!

I imagine you could make it work the same as you would with lavendar or any oil?? Could you extract the oil from the hops and then put it on your pillow??
yeah you can buy hop oil/essence and do that. easier than making a pillow.

Back