Hop Pellet Weight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahonya1

Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone has weighed how many grams of hop pellets equals 1 tablespoon. I don't have the anyway of measuring small quantities (need 15g), and unfortunatley already open and used some of the hops from the 90g foil package otherwise I could have taken all hops out, worked out how many tablespoon of hops and divided by 90.

I was wondering whether anyone has weighed how many grams of hop pellets equals 1 tablespoon. I don't have the anyway of measuring small quantities (need 15g), and unfortunatley already open and used some of the hops from the 90g foil package otherwise I could have taken all hops out, worked out how many tablespoon of hops and divided by 90.

A set of scales for measuring hops is less than $10

I bought a set of cheap electronic scales for $23 bucks from my local $2 shop... you know the ones I mean.... They have everything cheap.
While you're there get a thermometer as well for $4. Awesome investment for hop measurements and for checking the temp of water when steeping grain etc...

A 20c piece weighs 11.3g.

Set up an icey pole stick balancing in the middle on something with two plastic cups balancing ion each side.

Put 20c in one and add hops until it balances.

A 20c piece weighs 11.3g.

Set up an icey pole stick balancing in the middle on something with two plastic cups balancing ion each side.

Put 20c in one and add hops until it balances.

Excellent idea. Here are other coin weights that'll help when measuring hop weight....

5 cent = 2.83g
10 cent = 5.66g
20 cent = 11.31g
50 cent = 15.55g
$1 = 9g
$2 = 6.6g

Buy some scales you tight arse :D

Deals extreme

Excellent idea. Here are other coin weights that'll help when measuring hop weight....

5 cent = 2.83g
10 cent = 5.66g
20 cent = 11.31g
50 cent = 15.55g
$1 = 9g
$2 = 6.6g

If you put all the coins together you'll almost have enough for the scales.

Does anyone use coins to calibrate their scales?

Looks like a few 50c coins may be a good way to work out hop measuring weight accuracy at least.

Latest posts

Back