Hop Debris Into Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
allowing me to drain as fast as I can with no worries about hop debris.

Think I'm going to end up with one of BB's hopscreens (the speed with which I'm currently draining the wort out of the kettle is bugging the cr@p out of me); kettle finings and a good whirlpool do the job okay though (all be it a bit slowly)

Thanks to all for the replies. After I removed the immersion chiller, I whirpooled with a large spoon for about 5 mins and then only left it for another few minutes before I transferred it to the fermenter. Seems I might need to let it settle alot longer. I wish to reuse the yeast and am abit worried about the hop debris. I had a look at the fermenter about half an hour ago and you can see a layer of hop debris above the yeast cake.
A couple of questions.
If using a large hop sock to boil the hops in (the ones Ross sells), do you get a reduced hop flavour/aroma?
How do other people whirlpool and what do they use?
Do the Beerbelly hopscreens work with pellets?
Cheers

I'd say the B/B screens work best with Flowers/Plugs. In my experience at least. The pellets break up small enough for some material to get through, though I'm sure it does some good in holding back the majority of hop pellet material. A hopsock between kettle and fermenter/cube sounds like a good idea to me, as per warra on pg 1.

I would imagine you have to get a reduced hop flavour from using a socky, chemistry init but a lot of people use them so I'm sure you'd be OK and you can just compensate accordingly if you don't get the hop hit you're after.

Personally I prefer to see those hops run free in the boil but definitely a personal preference, no real reason not to use a hopsock if you find it more workable.

I haven't has much success with my whirlpooling lately, I've been taking it off the heat and stirring straight away for a minute or so and then letting it sit for 30m. On my last brew I could see the trub actually rising up to the surface from the cone while I was siphoning so I definitely have to work on my routine, either letting it sit before for a while before WPing or stirring it longer.

i dont bother with whirlpooling. After 15min of the wort sitting still while the imersion chiller does its thing, i find the majority of crap settles to the bottom of the kettle and stays there, while the cleaner liquid is drawn off. I get a little bit of crap drawn through the pickup tube initially ( first 10 sec of draining) but then it seems to draw the lighter/cleaner liquid before the heavy trub.I use gravity and not a pump,which id say dosent suck with as much force.When im nearing the bottom and start sucking the last litre of crap out i stop. I compensate for this with a 20litre recipe and collect only 19litresof clean wort. It dosent break the bank

Latest posts

Back