Hop confusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
Is BR97 a dried version of 1272?
I have my suspicions but have not actually looked into it, because the few pales I've done with it have a similar profile, and it floccs big time etc.

Phil Mud said:
Yeah I know, but the author said the IBU info was correct. Maybe the new DB converted it back to the default IBU for cascade?
Maybe something got lost in the recipe db conversion. I have made this beer using Galaxy with an IBU of 31.4. My hop schedule was
6g Galaxy (12.3% Alpha) @ 60 mins
6g Galaxy @ 30 mins
20g Galaxy @ 5 mins
for a 23 litre batch size. OG 1.044 FG 1.010 ABV4.52% Yeast: Danstar Nottingham
I use Brewmate and no chill. My note: Very nice, a surprise (because I didn't know what all that Galaxy would do. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob, I did install brewmate & feel a bit more comfortable with the hopping schedule. I picked up some cascade and assuming no-chill I'm going to go with:

20g cascade (6.7% AA) at 60 mins
5 g galaxy (14.6% AA) at 20 mins
5 g galaxy (14.6% AA) at 15 mins
5 g galaxy (14.6% AA) at 10 mins
5 g galaxy (14.6% AA) at 5 mins
5 g galaxy (14.6% AA) at 0 mins

Should give me around 40 IBU and if I wind up chilling I will up the hop volumes accordingly.

Still haven't decided on a yeast yet. I picked up a sachet of BRY-09 so I've got the option of either now.

I may also dry hop with galaxy and or cascade but will see how it's tasting.

An unrelated question of ettiquette - comparing this to the original recipe (see link in first post), can I claim to be brewing a "parched as bro"?pale ale? My grain bill differs slightly in base malt quantity and I added some wheat, I'm adding a different variety of hops to a single hop recipe and may use a different yeast. I'd hate to bastardise his recipe & misrepresent it, but similarly I don't any to imply its an original brew. Where is the line for recipe originality drawn?

i have a cascade / galaxy APA carbonating now and i added my galaxy hops from 40 minutes onwards, not from 60 given what everyone has said about it. it tastes amazing. i can recommend this if you're using all galaxy in future

I've never tried it at anything other than 10 minute additions. Don't want to waste wort when there are so many people saying too early and it's too bitter or dry hopping and it's too grassy. At 10 mins though, it's delicious. Just need to be more careful with it than other hops.

Good point, I'm comfortable with a 20, 15 and 10 min addition, but might cut the 5 and 0 and replace with Cascade.

Phil Mud said:
An unrelated question of ettiquette - comparing this to the original recipe (see link in first post), can I claim to be brewing a "parched as bro"?pale ale? My grain bill differs slightly in base malt quantity and I added some wheat, I'm adding a different variety of hops to a single hop recipe and may use a different yeast. I'd hate to bastardise his recipe & misrepresent it, but similarly I don't any to imply its an original brew. Where is the line for recipe originality drawn?
I can't remember who posted this recipe, the old data base had the name of the poster. However I would assume that since I had a different recipe that the OP had changed his recipe at a later date. It is quite common for people to improve on/tweak their recipes. They still call it by it's original name so why shouldn't you?

[quote name="Phil Mud" post="1030369" timestamp=

An unrelated question of ettiquette - comparing this to the original recipe (see link in first post), can I claim to be brewing a "parched as bro"?pale ale? My grain bill differs slightly in base malt quantity and I added some wheat, I'm adding a different variety of hops to a single hop recipe and may use a different yeast. I'd hate to bastardise his recipe & misrepresent it, but similarly I don't any to imply its an original brew. Where is the line for recipe originality drawn?[/quote]

Who gives a ****! If it tastes god drink it and raise a glass to the bloke who inspired your brew. Talk about PC crap!

Rowy said:
Who gives a ****! If it tastes god drink it and raise a glass to the bloke who inspired your brew. Talk about PC crap!
If my brew tastes God, I'll be ******* stoked. I think it's a relevant question though, lots of brew recipes are very similar.

Phil Mud said:
If my brew tastes God, I'll be ******* stoked. I think it's a relevant question though, lots of brew recipes are very similar.
Typo.....my apologies....but again who gives a ****! Brew drink and enjoy........

Phil Mud said:
if i tweak one but it still has some resemblance to the original, i'll just say 'inspired by ...' or have a reference to it somewhere. it's like any assignment really. give credit where it's due.

Rowy said:
Very succinctly put Ray!

Just brewing Phils version of this now..
Cascade flowers NZ
Galaxy flowers AUS.. naturally..
Going to ferment this with Craftbrewers English Ale yeast at 19d.
The boil smells awesome..

I bottled mine last night, aroma was very big on passionfruit, taste was good, but not as hoppy as it may have been, but for the Notto - looking forward to tasting it carbonated and conditioned though.
As an aside, I crashed this for 48 hours at 2C (would have left it longer, but need it ready for the long weekend). First time cold crashing and I see what the fuss is about. The yeast cake was so compact! I siphoned the beer off into my bottling bucket & there was pretty much just yeast left in the fermenter. Usually I lose a bit because its just too cloudy to bottle. I'll be keen to see if it's clear in the glass!

There is no original. Anything we do only contributes to the common good.

I just hope humble geniuses keep innovating so I can learn how to do normal things better and I can feel good about myself and brag to all my mates. Maybe one day I might contribute something to the pool, till then, to quote Les Claypool;

Hats off to the ones that put it all together
And keep their ducks in line.
Hats off to all the ones that erred before me
And taught me how to survive.

(and make beer.)

Latest posts

Back