Hop Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett05

Reaction score
I recently made my 1st all-grain brew with a Robobrew and all went well...(no stuck sparge,thank god!)
For hop addition,I used simple lengths of cheesecloth tied with a rubberband and held them in place with the lid clips on the Robobrew.
I thought "there has to be an easier way?"... Homemade hop spider it is!..$20 for parts from Bunnings & 15mins to construct...easy.

But an even cheaper hop spider...which dawned on me after the fact...Make use of that annoying maltpipe stand!!!!

Just put a paint strainer bag inside the centre of the stand, and secure the elastic opening of the paint strainer bag around the guideposts on the stand for the maltpipe!!!!...simples.

IMG_20160913_121355.jpg

Paint strainer bags are the go, they form a "swimming pool" for the hops so they get better exposure than being confined in a tight bag. They work very well with hop pellets as well, retaining most of the vegetable matter.
Been using them for about 8 years now, (sold as "grain bags" by some suppliers but they are just the paint ones AFAIK).

I bought a pack of 3 @Bunnings for $9,boiled them for 10mins to get rid of any plastic smell and sanitised for the next brews...budget brewing!

Also have some Swiss Viole from Spotlight that I'll try on one of my future brew days,as well..

I washed the cheesecloth but it didn't make it through the washing machine!

Always learning.
Cheers!

None of that fancy hop bag business for me. My hops go in commando.

Latest posts

Back