Hook Norton Labels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vini2ton

Reaction score
Has anyone got an easy way to get these silver ******* things of these 500ml bottles?

I usually soak in pink stain remover, brings pretty much any label off

Hahaha.
Those labels are the worst !!!!!
I considered burning them off !
I just leave them on now.

CF

I've got a plastic box with a napisan solution in it that bottles get put through. Chuck them in and pull them out a week later after the paper and glue has come off. Vale bottles get a scrub after a week and then the rest of the glue comes off.
Bottles come out and get a hot rinse then drained and put into covered boxes to be filled
500 ml is my favourite bottle size

I too bottle in pints almost exclusively.
The odd longneck or two per brew.

CF

I'm a big fan of sod per for paper labels. But these ones must of come from some NASA research program. Steel scourers and eucy oil work but it's alot of work. I've turfed a few due to this fact.

Caustic soda is the go for those type of labels. Just soak the bottles in a tub or big bucket.

Make sure you drain them then rinse well with hot water.

They wont need any sanitizing as the caustic will kill any nasties.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Caustic soda is the go for those type of labels. Just soak the bottles in a tub or big bucket.

Make sure you drain them then rinse well with hot water.

They wont need any sanitizing as the caustic will kill any nasties.
Thanks What a great idea! I can clean me bottles and me drains at the same time. You bloody beauty.

Mind you....someone will probably pipe and say.." yeah but you rinsed it out with only hot water so now they wont be sterile/sanitized.....you better squirt them with star-san just to be safe...".

Ducatiboy stu said:
Mind you....someone will probably pipe and say.." yeah but you rinsed it out with only hot water so now they wont be sterile/sanitized.....you better squirt them with star-san just to be safe...".
Well...come on man. You know those arse-fungus spores are just waiting to hurl us back into the middle ages!

hmmm... these are the ones that are floating around my collection with glue on the front... it is perpetually sticky!

I fill them with water and stand them in hot soapy water (dish washing liquid) over night the label should slip off and the silver backing I remove using steel wool. Hooky bottles are great

Back