Honey?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
I just started a brew of coopers mexican cerveza, for the second time (first one turned out great at just 2 weeks in the bottle). i added the recommended 1kg BE2 and 500g natural honey, with the kit yeast. I added the honey to see if it will taste at all honey-ish, but would i be right in thinking it will all ferment out? i think the vast majority of honey is fructose and glucose, which will ferment, if there was enough of the left overs ( proteins, dextrin, etc) would that add taste?
i figured the worst that could happen is make my beer a bit stronger and not affect the taste. has anyone tried replacing all sugar with honey before? would that have any benefits?

cheers :icon_cheers:

I just started a brew of coopers mexican cerveza, for the second time (first one turned out great at just 2 weeks in the bottle). i added the recommended 1kg BE2 and 500g natural honey, with the kit yeast. I added the honey to see if it will taste at all honey-ish, but would i be right in thinking it will all ferment out? i think the vast majority of honey is fructose and glucose, which will ferment, if there was enough of the left overs ( proteins, dextrin, etc) would that add taste?
i figured the worst that could happen is make my beer a bit stronger and not affect the taste. has anyone tried replacing all sugar with honey before? would that have any benefits?

cheers :icon_cheers:

I use it all the time in my Honey Hal Wheat beer and 500gm leaves a slight hint of honey in the after taste.

I use honey a lot in my beers. I use it to replace dextrose/sugar/malt. I do not think it leaves a "honey" taste, but it certainly adds flavour to the beer.

Yeah leaves a honey ish taste, use it with a bit of crystal grains and you will get a honey taste.

Also I find Honey takes longer to ferment out, so it may not be ready to bottle in the usual 7 day period alot of brewers work off. I leave brews with honey for 2 weeks min befor I bottle.

lol @ a mex beer with honey

that's a hang over mixture if i ever knew one

It really depends on the flowers from which the bees were making the honey.

Back