Honey Where's My Krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
So I've had my first AG brew fermenting for 4 days now and the nice healthy inch or 2 krausen has now disappeared should I be doing anything or just leave it alone.

The brew is a Dr Smurto Golden Ale. OG was 1.047, I haven't taken another reading yet ... was planning on waiting until I dry hop on day 7 to take one.

Anyone got some tips?

At what temperature was it fermenting? I'd take a grav sample and see how it's going.

Sorry meant to add that.

Been fermenting at approx 20 deg in my spare room.

Definitely take a sample. I sample daily, sometimes twice a day (but only if it tastes really good). This allows you to follow SG drop, pinpoint the moment when it stops, and gives you an idea of how the yeast typically behaves.

Definitely take a sample. I sample daily, sometimes twice a day (but only if it tastes really good). This allows you to follow SG drop, pinpoint the moment when it stops, and gives you an idea of how the yeast typically behaves.

OK so its dropped down to 1020 after 6 days now but fermentation all looks to have stopped.

I'll keep tabs on the gravity daily now.

Cheers

Mr W

my rule of thumb is leave 7 days check gravity 2-3 days later I check it if its the same leave for 2 days then check again if its the same start CC unless its way off what I estimated then try to recover it

1020 still seems to be a little high, fermentation has probably not stopped just slowed.

Are you racking at the same time you are dry hopping? You will probably see a few more gravity points drop if you do.

So it looks like everything has stalled at 1020!

Receipe estimates FG at 1014 ... should I be doing anything to get closer to this or just deal with it and get ready to put in the keg (first time for that too!!).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers

Mr W

So it looks like everything has stalled at 1020!

Receipe estimates FG at 1014 ... should I be doing anything to get closer to this or just deal with it and get ready to put in the keg (first time for that too!!).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers

Mr W

Hey mr W
I had a brew that did the same thing to me the other day i just gave the yeast a stir up by stirring with big sanitized spoon n lifted the temp a few degrees and it started fermenting slowly again n drop the few more points I needed it too, hopefully u haven't kegged it yet!!

Hope that helps
Cheers Jbacon

Swirl the fermentor gently to rouse the yeast.
Crank it up to 22C or more to try and get the last few points.

Generally I leave my ales in primary for 2 weeks... although since kegging it's asap.... i'm pretty impatient.

MrW - did you end up going BIAB or 3V ? Should catch up for a brew night some time.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I gave it a swirl last night and not much has been happening ... might give it another go tonight and rug it up to get the temps up.

If all else fails I'll be kegging it anyway.

@seemax - have started off BIAB and will get a few things sorted out before/if I head down the 3V path. Definately up for a brew day with a local! Let me know when you're doing your next brew, mine won't be too far away (just want to taste this one so I can avoid the same mistakes!)

Cheers

Mr W

Latest posts

Back