honey recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perc63

Reaction score
hi all, new to site have brewed for a number of years and I have a bee hive in the back yard, now I have a bit of honey left over from the last rob. so what is the best I can do with it. drink it that's my question answered.......can I ask for couple or three brew ideas pls.......perc...

Mead, or use it in your brews. Depends upon wether you mash or kit brew. I usually add my honey about 10 mins before the end of the boil to slightly pasturize yet not over cook it. Each to their own. Some say honey doesn't contain bacteria, wild yeast or viruses this is crap but another book I am reading says when making mead paturisation is not required as long as a healthy yeast strain is pitched immediately to out compete all others
The value for 1lb of honey in 1 us gallon is 35 corn sugar is 40 and dme is 45 so volumes have to be adjusted accordingly. Eg if you were spozed to add 1lb of dme to a recipe and swaped it for 1 lb of honey your sg would be down 10 points. Without a calculator I reckon you would need 1.2lb of honey to make up the same gravity of the DME.

look up JAO in the search, a good beginers mead recipie is there

otherwise a little bit of honey goes well in alot of beers, it tends to dry the beer out a little so it works better in some styles rather than others.

in fact one of my first beers was a can of "draught" and whatever filler they said to use on the can plus 500g honey, not the greatest beer in the world but it did the job, enjoyed by all.

Latest posts

Back