Honey Lager ---- Advise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
Dear Demi Gods of Brewing,

I currently have a Honey Lager (experimental brew) in my primary, and need some advice, if the fermentation is stuck.

Brew Ingredients

Brewiser Lager Concentrate 1.7Kg
SAFLager 2-23 Yeast
328g Honey (Boiled for 15 Minutes to kill any wild yeasties)
Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
Hersbrucker Hops Teabag.

Brew has been going since April 15 (8 Days)
OG = 1042
Brew Temp has been hovering between 10 and 14 Degrees
Tested the gravity Saturday and Today and reading has been 1022 both days.

I have given the fermenter a bit of a shimy to stir up the trub, in case it is stuck.

Should I wait or can I rack to secondary Tuesday as planned?

Note: Will let diacetyl rest for a couple of days once racked and then will CC for a few weeks before bulk prime and bottle.

Cheers :beer:

Brownie.

It's close to that magic 1020 number again !!

I don't know, if you're adding sugars in the secondary, go for it.
If not, there's probably still enough yeast left in suspension to complete the job and the rousing as it's tipped to the secondary might be enough to get it moving again.

??

Hey Brownie.

I resently used saflager with one of my brews and upon mentioning that on these forums, was told by a few people to have a Dicactyl rest around that 1020 SG for 48 hours - when i did so i found that the brew completed fermentation and i was able to bottle (as i can't be bothered lagering correctly).

Basically i thought my batch had stopped too - but the rest really spured things along!

Good luck with it!

Thansk for the advise, outcome of this was:

Left to ferment for 13 days, SG cam edown to 1014, is currently in diacetyl rest, airlock in secondary seems to be bubbling away so still some fermenting happening.

will start CC'ing Tuesday or Wednesday for a week or 3.

Certainly can taste the honey, is a tad rough yet, but to be expected for one so young.

Cheers
Brownie

just on the taste side, i've found in amounts up to 500ml it really deserves to be left to mature properly.

just done a taste test today after 3 months, very nice, not as overpowering as at 1 month.

:party:

yard

Yardy,

Will keep that in mind, this was is being done now so it is ready for summer.

Brownie.

should be the ducks by then :chug:

yardy

Latest posts

Back