NEW TC BREW A IPA RECIPE - EL BRACKO IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigantorus

Reaction score
Was kindly supplied some of the new Coopers cans. Used the new Brew A IPA can in a recipe and it's been in the bottle a couple of weeks now and tasting quite good - better than I actually expected. The recipe went like this…

El Bracko IPA

Ingredients
• 1.7kg Coopers Brew A IPA Can

• 1.5kg Light Dry Malt Extract
• 250grams CaraMunich1 Malt
• 550grams CaraPils Malt
• 90grams Experimental Pine Fruit Hops
• 50grams Galaxy Hops
• 1 American Ale Yeast packet (plus yeast from under can lid)

Figures:
• Colour: Amber-Golden
• Body: Medium-Heavy
• Bitterness: High (IBU = 75)
• Approx. Alcohol Level: 5.5% ABV

Method
Add cracked grains to 4 litres of hot tap water, steep for 40 mins, then remove the grains then bring the liquid to the boil. Once boiled, take of the heat and add 90grams Exp. Pine Fruit and 50grams Galaxy hops and sit for 15 mins.
Put 2 litres of cold water into the fermenting vessel then add the strained steeping liquid. Then add the contents of the IPA can and LDME and stir well. Add cold water up to the 20 litre mark and stir vigorously.
Check the brew temperature and top up to the 23 litre mark with cold water to get as close as possible to 20C.
Sprinkle the can yeast on the wort surface and give a light stir, then sprinkle American Ale yeast on surface and fit the lid. Ferment for 14 days.
Ferment at 18C for 7 days, then bring up to 21C for 3 days, then drop down to 2C (Cold Crash) for remaining 4 days, then bottle.

Pic attached is the result, which has a great nose & taste of tropical fruits, nice level of bitterness and a great texture & lacing. This is the first time I've used the Experimental Pine Fruit hops and like what I taste. Will use these again for sure.

I also usually dry-hop most of my IPA's - but this time I wanted to see what the result would be with just a large Flame-out hop addition. I have to say I'm impressed with the flavour and aroma of this brew. It also allowed me to cold crash for a slightly longer period, which has produced a very clean tasting beer.

Cheers,

Pete

View attachment Petes-El-Bracko-IPA-2016.pdf

Meant to say that if you are after the Experimental Pine Fruit hops, I got mine from Craft Brewer in Brisbane: www.craftbrewer.com.au
Experimental Pine Fruit (USA) - Aromas of black currant, dark fruit, strong herbal notes and pine tree. Similar to Simcoe with a dominant piney citrus character. A great hop for aggressive IPA's. AA = 17.7%.
Cheers,
Pete

Matt,

Not sure if the Brew A can is the same as the previous TC IPA can to be honest. I know the Brew A recipe has been around a long time with Coopers. So could well be. Though looking at the specs used in IanH's spreadsheet there may be a slight difference. See below. A touch more bitter.

Cheers,

Pete

TC-ipa-cans.jpg

I have made 2 batches of the brew A now and while the have both been more than drinkable I'm not going to use it again

I get better IPA's just using the regular pale ale as a base

This is only the first time I used the Brew A can. I might try it again....though I might try another brand of IPA can first just to compare.

Gigantorus said:
This is only the first time I used the Brew A can. I might try it again....though I might try another brand of IPA can first just to compare.
Also might throw a little Rye malt in the next one as well. Got some Weyermann's Rye and Chocolate Rye coming this week.

Back