Homemade Mashtuns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I have a largeish cooler/esky type picnic box, not exactly sure what size it is but it is big...Anyway, as we (SWMBO) would throw the dummy if I drilled a hole in it for a tap etc is it possible to make a copper pipe manifold in the normal way but instead of it draining to a tap on the bottom/side of the esky do you think it could work if the manifold drained to some flexi pipe which run up and out of the top of the esky in a similar way to racking?

I know I have not made myself 100% clear here but I hope you get my drift.

What are the pros/cons to this method?

One obvious pro is my man bits stay attached to my body. B)

Instead of gravity flow, its conducted under a syphon. Like this picture from Palmer http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f162.jpg .

I did it once, but found it a hassle. It was annoying having to start a syphon on a hot liquid, the manifold is not as tight as having it connected to a tap, you have to sometimes watch to make sure the syphon isn't lost.

The pros are- cheap, not hard to do, keeps the integrity of the esky, can be done quite easily with leftover parts

Have you considered a tap arrangement that could be taken off. With my esky it is possible to unscrew the tap and the manifold, leaving just a few centimetres of threaded pipe, two locknuts. You could temporily seal the pipe if you wanted to, with a cap for the threaded pipe, or if you had a tun that has a proper hole, screw it out..

I used the syphon arrangement once, then gave up and forked out for a mashtun that used a gravity feed and ball valve arrangement. A gravity tapped mashtun can be done for $60-70 dollars, and whilst gives exactly the same affect, makes a mash that much easier.

Will

kungy said:
Instead of gravity flow, its conducted under a syphon. Like this picture from Palmer http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f162.jpg .

I did it once, but found it a hassle. It was annoying having to start a syphon on a hot liquid, the manifold is not as tight as having it connected to a tap, you have to sometimes watch to make sure the syphon isn't lost.

The pros are- cheap, not hard to do, keeps the integrity of the esky, can be done quite easily with leftover parts

Have you considered a tap arrangement that could be taken off. With my esky it is possible to unscrew the tap and the manifold, leaving just a few centimetres of threaded pipe, two locknuts. You could temporily seal the pipe if you wanted to, with a cap for the threaded pipe, or if you had a tun that has a proper hole, screw it out..

I used the syphon arrangement once, then gave up and forked out for a mashtun that used a gravity feed and ball valve arrangement. A gravity tapped mashtun can be done for $60-70 dollars, and whilst gives exactly the same affect, makes a mash that much easier.

Will
[post="62979"][/post]​

Great minds think alike then...Palmer and I :unsure: :lol:

The idea just came to me at work today and I thought it had probably been done, thats the problem with living in the 21st century, everything has been done.

Maybe after reading through your advice there a gravity system is the way to go...Why fight it?

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

ODDBALL said:
.Anyway, as we (SWMBO) would throw the dummy if I drilled a hole in it for a tap

Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions. Really if you are going to use it as a mash tun then it has no business being an esky so a hole in it is no issue.

Either that or buy another one :) I am sure the concept works but why comlicate things :)

kungy said:

If you buy an igloo brand esky then the tap bit easily usncrews and you can put your manifold system in its place, then take it out when you are finished.

Cheers ausdb

ODDBALL said:
I have a largeish cooler/esky type picnic box, not exactly sure what size it is but it is big...Anyway, as we (SWMBO) would throw the dummy if I drilled a hole in it for a tap etc is it possible to make a copper pipe manifold in the normal way but instead of it draining to a tap on the bottom/side of the esky do you think it could work if the manifold drained to some flexi pipe which run up and out of the top of the esky in a similar way to racking?

I know I have not made myself 100% clear here but I hope you get my drift.

What are the pros/cons to this method?

One obvious pro is my man bits stay attached to my body. B)
[post="62976"][/post]​

OB,
Live up to the image in your avatar,

Just drill the hole mate if you need it and tell her if it is a problem then find a cork :lol:

I think with most eskys with a tap originally fitted you can find an arrangement of fittings that will allow you a tap without changing the integrity of the esky.
Just remove the original bung etc and fit your tap then refit it if she carries on.
It is amazing how most partners dont know a tap from a bung in an esky.
I have made two rubbermaid eskys into mash tuns an never altered the original hole, so go for it and surprise yourself ( and her ) and save your "manbits".

You will never achieve mash brewing if you put your "manbits" on the line over fitting a tap to a cheap esky. :D

Hell,!! I hope this helps ;)

I had the same problem with SWMBO all i did was drilled it and got one of those rubber bungs from the HBS and she has not noticed .I watched her last month wash it out and use the dam hole to drain it.Sometimes they just complain for the sake of it.

I did the copper mainfold thing when i first started all grain. I think i did 2 batches, and got sick of starting the syphon over and over, and burning my self with hot wort. Go to the local markets and soon enough you'll find a 10 buck esky ( or less ). Make sure its around 33 litres or more. Then you'll be sweet.

Oddball,
I don't know if you ahve a GO-Lo store near you but I picked up a 35ltr Esky from them last week that had a bung in the bottom which was easy to unscrew, it was only 15 bucks. I have since added various bits of plumbing that I picked up at Bunnings and now have a dedicated Mash Tun. Yoohoo :super:

Cheers
BradT

You'll be getting sick of this by now, but my Coleman esky took a 1/2" threaded pipe through its drain hole perfectly to which I then connected my copper manifold (strangely enough it looks just like the one in Palmer's book :lol: ) using a 'compression fitting'. Chuck a ball valve on the outside end and hey presto, instant - no siphon - mash tun. I kept the Coleman tap fittings and can just put them back in should the need arise.

Good luck with convincing SWMBO

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back