'Homemade cider' Not a drop, cost nothing :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had a spare bit of yeast ( trub from last brew) ( I wanted to experiment with left over yeast) so I
put some lime cordial - I think a bit of apple juice - some sugar...and added yeast...
Put in a 1.25 lt wild turkey bottle, and let the gas out now and again....10 days...
and then emptied into another bottle and added priming sugar... Woow there was a lot of gas when I opened...
but was not a bad drop to be honest....I dont know what you call it, but in summer it might be quite nice...
I was not as sweet as an "alcopop" - but I reckon it could be tweaked to be something for a bit of fun... something that could be used for a punch or sangria..? Anyone tried anything like that..

cheers

Trustyrusty said:
Hi Guys,

I had a spare bit of yeast ( trub from last brew) ( I wanted to experiment with left over yeast) so I
put some lime cordial - I think a bit of apple juice - some sugar...and added yeast...
Put in a 1.25 lt wild turkey bottle, and let the gas out now and again....10 days...
and then emptied into another bottle and added priming sugar... Woow there was a lot of gas when I opened...
but was not a bad drop to be honest....I dont know what you call it, but in summer it might be quite nice...
I was not as sweet as an "alcopop" - but I reckon it could be tweaked to be something for a bit of fun... something that could be used for a punch or sangria..? Anyone not currently incarcerated tried anything like that..

cheers
Fixed it.

Wow. Prison hooch. Although you did use yeast and not mouldy bread stuffed in a sock to ferment with.

You can drill a hole in a coconut and leave it to ferment. Then drink.
Genuinely zero outlay if you have a coconut palm in your yard.

My first foray into brewing was a 7 percent ginger beer made on white sugar, cheap powdered ginger from the Indian shop, wine yeast and Diammonium Phosphate. I bottled it in 2L soft drink bottles. Turned out bone dry but in a glass with a shot of Bundaberg ginger cordial, mint leaves, ice cubes, a plastic seahorse shaped swizzle stick and a cocktail umbrella it was impressive. (edit: of course you wet the rim of the glass with lemon juice and dip it upside down in pink sugar)

Drunk for $2 dead drunk for $4, dead for $10. Who needs that euthanasia guy. :ph34r: :ph34r:

If bravo - uniform - mike was still around there'd be disdainful comments, sarcasm and warnings from mods flying about like confetti on this thread I'd wager.

Unless he still trolls among us..

Dave70 said:
If bravo - uniform - mike was still around there'd be disdainful comments, sarcasm and warnings from mods flying about like confetti on this thread I'd wager.

Next you'll be telling me Elvis is still alive too...

Dognammit. The recipes you see when you don't own a plastic seahorse shaped swizzle stick. :angry2:

My 2nd foray, was a jar of mothers home preserved peaches and a 1/2 a spoon of her bakers yeast from the cupboard. Well, we drank it and none of the boys complained (maybe that's where I went wrong).

Dave70 said:

He knew his shit though.
I miss him, along with some others.

indica said:
You can drill a hole in a coconut and leave it to ferment. Then drink.
Genuinely zero outlay if you have a coconut palm in your yard.
I lived in Solomon Islands for a year, the locals make two types of fermented coconut, one cooked one raw, well the cooked tasted like vomit and the raw tasted Likefizzy vinager, Wouldn't recommend either

Back