Homebrew Tragedy! [with Pics]

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen this in the latest Beer & Brewer email. Sounds like every rookie mistake rolled into one batch. Had a chuckle reading it.

mosto said:
Seen this in the latest Beer & Brewer email. Sounds like every rookie mistake rolled into one batch. Had a chuckle reading it.
Good read. Scratched head a bit that the deputy editor of beer and brewer mag doesn't brew...

lael said:
Is that the same for any gas stove then?

Any gas stove where the bottle will sit on metal arms.

It always surprises me that no homebrew shop has cottoned onto that yet and is selling those heat dispersion mat that we all know from chemistry class.

Thinking about it, they're probably making more money on glass flask repeat business than once off heat dispersion mat sales.

Bunsen Burner Gauze would be the more searchable term.

Bunsen Burner Gauze.jpeg

Setup.jpeg

lael said:
Is that the same for any gas stove then?
Correct. They're really only meant to be heated over a consistent single/wide gas point such as a Bunsen Burner with a mesh spreader as Florian has pointed out above. The stays/struts/supports on most stoves will cause uneven heating and cause stress on the flask. While they're made of what's commonly known as "Pyrex" they're a hell of a lot thinner than a pyrex casserole dish. Half the reason dickheads, scumbags, speed freaks blow themselves up while doing a cook of illicit poisons with very dangerous ingredients. The other half is just mother nature sorting out the gene pool. Oops, I said that out aloud then didn't I? :ph34r:
(sorry I missed your earlier post)

Cheers,
Martin

What would you guys recon about a thin sheet of aluminium on the stove between the flask and the trivet??
Would this be better??

Before I bought that little stove I used to use the flask on a Nasa turned down with no ill effects.
I have broken one when I took it from the stove and placed it on a stainless steel sink....dick head....now I place it on a teflon cutting board and let it cool a bit before I put it in the sink for chilling.
I also don't have the gas flat out on that stove but set to more of a simmer.

If the aluminium sheet is no good I may have to search out the burner gauze.

mosto said:

Best part:

So there they sat for a few more days – much to the curious delight of my 18-month-old son. He’s learning to talk at the moment, and took great delight in grabbing my hand, leading me into the bathroom and – pointing into the tub – saying “Beer! Beer!”.

There was only one appropriate response: “It’s meant to be beer, mate… but I wouldn’t drink it if I was you. It’s bloody horrible.”

Just had my first tragedy. Brew is going fine, even though it was nearing midnight. Multiple hop additions using a hop sock. 60 min was cascade pellets and Nelson flowers. Two knives wasn't enough to way it down because of the flowers floating. Next Nelson flowers addition I think "why don't I just throw them in, they float anyway". Yeah. You can see how this ended up.

Currently sitting on the brew stand with a blocked pick up tube. Only using no chill cubes so couldn't cool it down and pour it throw a filter into fermenter.

Pretty annoyed. Smelled amazing too.

StalkingWilbur said:
Just had my first tragedy. Brew is going fine, even though it was nearing midnight. Multiple hop additions using a hop sock. 60 min was cascade pellets and Nelson flowers. Two knives wasn't enough to way it down because of the flowers floating. Next Nelson flowers addition I think "why don't I just throw them in, they float anyway". Yeah. You can see how this ended up.

Currently sitting on the brew stand with a blocked pick up tube. Only using no chill cubes so couldn't cool it down and pour it throw a filter into fermenter.

Haha, that sounds painfully familiar.

Went back today. Boiled for 10 minutes and threw in a handful of pellet hops. Let it cool and then using a syphon hose tip I managed to succeed into getting the wort into no chill cubes.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391617700.689715.jpg

I know this is homebrew tragedy, but... Victory!

Managed to get my hop additions arse about for Maibock on Saturday. Put the Tett in a 60 instead of Perle which would have put the IBUs at around a cloying 19 instead of 30. So made a second addition an boiled for another 20.
OG still wound up at 1.070 - should have been 1.076 despite the extra boiling. No idea why.
Then while chilling, the irrigation pump on the second water tank I was hooked up to melted its start / run capacitor and went pop in a cloud of acrid smoke.
Then racing about sorting dinner, left the tap on and overflowed the cube by about a liter all over the garage floor. Let the dog lick it up.
What a ******* afternoon.
The sad part is I hadn't even touched a drop all day.

HBHB said:
Correct. They're really only meant to be heated over a consistent single/wide gas point such as a Bunsen Burner with a mesh spreader as Florian has pointed out above. The stays/struts/supports on most stoves will cause uneven heating and cause stress on the flask. While they're made of what's commonly known as "Pyrex" they're a hell of a lot thinner than a pyrex casserole dish. Half the reason dickheads, scumbags, speed freaks blow themselves up while doing a cook of illicit poisons with very dangerous ingredients. The other half is just mother nature sorting out the gene pool. Oops, I said that out aloud then didn't I? :ph34r:
(sorry I missed your earlier post)

Cheers,
Martin
Any chance you would look at stocking a burner gauze martin?

StalkingWilbur said:

First time I used flowers I made that mistake. Ended up juggling it into the cubes, flowers and all. Was nelson sauvin in too :)

Turned out to be the best NSSA I ever made :)

Done the same ended up poking coate hanger wire through the tap pickup into kettle
Finally filling cube with a big mess everywhere

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498916056.077238.jpg

Lost 9 750ml bottles (3 of Berliner Weisse and 6 of Brett Lambric). Had just shut the fridge when the lower lot went and as I picked up a bottle the top shelf went! Only just bottled them a couple of hours earlier after ageing for six months.

View attachment 106725
Lost 9 750ml bottles (3 of Berliner Weisse and 6 of Brett Lambric). Had just shut the fridge when the lower lot went and as I picked up a bottle the top shelf went! Only just bottled them a couple of hours earlier after ageing for six months.
Bugger! What a shame.

When stuff like that happens to me I try to clean it up really fast and then pretend it hasn't happened. Compartmentalisation is my best protection mechanism.

Oh, and get a few of those other survivors on the shelf into the fridge. Compartmentalised and medicated. Everything OK now.

See you, Anthony

What can one really say, what a shit. As Anthony says, clean up real quick and I say pretend you drank them.

Sadly my wife took a photo and put my distressed state on Facebook for the world to see!
17 of each brew survived. Had to recap about 20 of them though, so I'm guessing I'm going to have a few under carbed.

Latest posts

Back