Homebrew Clubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tao

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I was having a look today to see if there were any homebrew clubs near North Melbourne (my location) but i can't seem to find any. Am i overlooking any? I did a google search combined with looking on Vicbrew and none seemd to jump out at me as nearby.

Wort Hogs and possibly West Gate Brewers... both good clubs from what I hear.

Cheers
C :icon_cheers:

Hi Tao,

The Westgate brewers meet in footscray, about 10 minutes from you, great bunch of blokes with a wealth of knowledge :beerbang:

Our meetings are normally the 3rd Sunday of every month but next month it's on the 13th so the members can attend Beerfest.

Website link

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something i have been thinking about latley myself?
The only one i can find is Melb Brewers, i am an hour south of Traralgon - Gippsland
Would be great to learn of experineced brewers in person as well as the social aspect.

Cheers

You might put up notice and see if anyone in your area want's to start up club in your area..also brewfest is at mirboo nth in a few weeks...you can go and meet people from the brewing world..

Melb brewers is the only club worth joining :ph34r:

Kidding. Any club is better than none. Try a few and c which one u like. But yeah worthogs or westgate r closest to u.

Beer4u - a few blokes have just had to pony up and start a club themselves. Bendigo brewers started out that way.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something i have been thinking about latley myself?
The only one i can find is Melb Brewers, i am an hour south of Traralgon - Gippsland
Would be great to learn of experineced brewers in person as well as the social aspect.

Cheers

Let me know if there is too (or if you start one up). My brother's living in the Gippsland (Noojee) and a little bit over the (lack of) social scene there. In those small towns you need to get out every now and then (at least I do when I'm living in the country).

Let me know if there is too (or if you start one up). My brother's living in the Gippsland (Noojee) and a little bit over the (lack of) social scene there. In those small towns you need to get out every now and then (at least I do when I'm living in the country).

Yeah for sure Tanga.
Maybe as suggested i may have to put the feelers out for starting something like a club and get along to GR for the brewfest.

Thanks

Noojee has a social scene only if it doesnt involve Greenies :lol: or getting good TV reception, pure logging country.

OT, Brewclubs can be good for get togethers, bulks, most importantly knowledge, saying that.......I brewed for 15 years with no brewclub and no interweb, it was all taste and trial, books and the LHBS dribble. We got thru OK, Interweb come about, AHB was borne and off we went, In the meantime orginisations like Melbourne Brewers were around, it was harder to get the word out to a geographical wider audience without the web, so I am only guessing the original clubs were more locale mates heresay. Today is another generation with technology behind them and a wider audience. Nothing pisses me off more than clubs forgetting or forsaking their origins in search of a dollar or their own personal ego. Certainly clubs are not everyones cup of tea.
Share driving is a must i.e dont do what I did and think you will only have your limit and drive home, lotsa above % beer on offer by very good brewers.
Never been picked up myself, but was ashamed the next day... I had driven home.

Gippsland Brew Club? I would be belting down the door.

North Melbourne... Check out Westgate......... the zegatary lurks around here as fergthebrewer

Cheers

G'day B4U...

As a part of Beerfest (being held out in Mirboo North) we're trying to get a local competition started for brewers in the region. As a result we're getting information coming in about small groups possibly out your way. If you are around, feel free to drop by the competition (Details here) and hopefully we'll be able to help you out with others in your part of the world.

May your brews be good brews!

Andy

G'day B4U...

As a part of Beerfest (being held out in Mirboo North) we're trying to get a local competition started for brewers in the region. As a result we're getting information coming in about small groups possibly out your way. If you are around, feel free to drop by the competition (Details here) and hopefully we'll be able to help you out with others in your part of the world.

May your brews be good brews!

Andy

Thats great, thanks for the heads up champ.

Afternoon all,

I was having a look today to see if there were any homebrew clubs near North Melbourne (my location) but i can't seem to find any. Am i overlooking any? I did a google search combined with looking on Vicbrew and none seemd to jump out at me as nearby.

Hi Tao
I'm a member of westgate, feel free to come along to a club meet.
I'm just off Racecourse Road near the Quiet Man Pub so should be able to give you a lift if you want, next meeting is on the second sunday in Feb (not the normal 3rd Sunday due to clashing with Beerfest) PM me if you're interested, or look up the Westgate website for directions etc.

North Melbourne... Check out Westgate......... the zegatary lurks around here as fergthebrewer
Thanks for that , Haysie...yes indeed i do lurk a bit....
As the other blokes have said , our next meeting is on Sunday 13th Feb...
We have a BBQ , starting around midday , and its BYO meat , salad, cutlery...the only thing we supply is beer glasses !
We also have a club 3 vessel , gravity brewery , known affectionately as black betty , which we will be using on the 13th , to make a beer for our next bus trip...
If you would like any further info , you can contact me here or via our email address
[email protected]
or on our web site
www.westgatebrewers.org ( which also has a map to find our club rooms )
we hope to see you at our next meeting !
Cheers
Ferg

Ferg & Father Jack of Westgate are fantastic guys and very knowledgeable. Had the pleasure of meeting these guys for the first time at Beerfest last year - you'd do well to start there as their Yarraville base is not far from you.

The club experience for a noob can be daunting, and you'll find the feedback on your beers challenging at first, but stick at it and bring your beers good bad or indifferent to club meetings as experienced people can let you know where to improve. You can also learn heaps from trying beer from the experienced people in a club and finding out what they're doing right too. We all are learning all the time, and it's easier to do it together.

4 years ago I was brewing average beer at best (some would say un-drinkable :lol: ), and Melbourne Brewers has turned that right around for me (brew gods be praised).

If I had stayed online I don't think my beer would have improved so quickly. Clubs are not for everyone - many folks start with AHB case-swaps for feedback, entering comps for judging feedback etc due to time constraints. But I would go with a club like Westgate definitely- you'll have a great sounding board for your brews, get ideas and inspiration on new ones and be able to mix with a bunch of easy-going people.

Hopper.

Ferg & Father Jack of Westgate are fantastic guys and very knowledgeable.
Hopper.

Ha Ha HoppingMad how a few beers make you exagerate :)

you'll have to reacquaint me at Beerfest, so many people tell you their nic names at events like those, you'd need to write them all down to remember who is who.

you are right though there are some very good palates in the club, only last meeting I had them work over my 2 strong scotch ales which both individually had their problems for different reasons, but blended to make a really good beer. It handn't particularly occurred to me to blend for some strange reason. Maybe I should ask Gordon Strong for a second opinion on the merits of blending :)

Thanks for the advice all. The 13th sounds good, alas I'm out of beer at the moment (System upgrade, 3 vessel AG to RIMS) so I can't bring any of mine along. I do have the odd bottle of mead floating about if such things are welcome?

Back