Home Vacume Food Storage Machines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the 20cm sunbeam machine...

Will see how it goes with SWMBO, as it is her Xmas pressy :icon_cheers:

It also has an external port attachment for doing bottles and canisters

Hi all,
I have found that you can avoid the issue of moisture or dust getting into the vacuum sealer by freezing first.
Put into a bag and leave a bit of a longer tail, squeeze out as much air as possible then seal and freeze.
Once contents frozen cut of the old seal and then vacuum and seal as per normal, thus all dust and moisture is now not an issue and one night with minimal exposure shouldn't degrade contents too greatly.
Cheers
Chris

Good tip Chris, hadn't thought of that! Have already destroyed one machine due to liquids getting in there!

Hey barls,

Why do you say the Sunbean is a pain for hops? Is it the fact that
the manual says to only use the recommended bags?

I have a Sunbeam VAC 440 (manual, though have yet to have enough
hops yield to use it <_<) and it has a manual overide to stop the vacuuming
and carry out the heat sealing so I'm thinking non channel bags might be
used by pressing air out of a bag with hops in it and just heat sealing the bag
(I do have rolls fo channel bags also).

T.
exactly i found that it wouldnt even do the foil bags i bought hops in had to transfer them to another bag.

sorry just found this again

exactly i found that it wouldnt even do the foil bags i bought hops in had to transfer them to another bag.

sorry just found this again

I just leave the kilo foil bags open (as in not pressing the zip lock) put that in an oversize channel bag and vaccuum seal. Works fine, protected from light, air etc.

I've managed to get quite anal with mine :)

The roll of bags has markers on the edges. I've found that if I cut a wide bag about 1.5 marks in length, seal one end, and then seal down the middle, I can create a bag with two separate pockets, each which holds about 50gms to 100gms. Then seal the top. Saves the amount of wastage for the bags, and if when i need to use the hops, I just cut a short end off.

I've managed to get quite anal with mine :)

The roll of bags has markers on the edges. I've found that if I cut a wide bag about 1.5 marks in length, seal one end, and then seal down the middle, I can create a bag with two separate pockets, each which holds about 50gms to 100gms. Then seal the top. Saves the amount of wastage for the bags, and if when i need to use the hops, I just cut a short end off.

With mine I do almost the same but end up with 2 x 50g bags. I seal the bottom then the top. Then cut it in half add the hops and seal each of the sides (where you cut). Easier to store in the freezer this way too.

Back