Home Security Cameras?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls , I've been thinking of setting up 1 or maybe 2 cameras at home to record if we have any visitors while we are out for a fair while , but this week some scumb bag low life visited my mate up the road and made of with shit loads of his stuff , So I think it might be time to get real and set something up..

So has anybody used the wifi jobs on evilbay ??

What do you recommend ?

Only after something cheep , I don't need a $5000 muilti camera set up ..Just one outdoor looking down the drive and maybe a second indoor ...

cheers

look at the Swann digital wireless setup about $600 for 2 cameras,

look at the Swann digital wireless setup about $600 for 2 cameras,

Used to work in the security camera industry. Anything cheap enough to afford will be too poor quality to be useful in identification. Your best bet would be to get a couple of the realistic looking fake ones (complete with flashing red on light) to use as a deterrent.

The value in security video is seeing what's happening now.. the recordings are usually only used for corroboration. its rare to get footage good enough to identify anyone on.

Cheers
Dave

Agreed. There are some that will "motion detect" and send a message and/or footage to a 'smart phone'. This might be an option...

We've been having our scrap bin at work being knocked off on a regular basis and we've tried a few cheapies and you can barely make out what type of vehicle it is. Forget reading plates or identifying the persons. NCIS/CSI image enhancing isnt real.
Most of the cheapies look small and sleek where as a good "real" camera is quite large and boxy. You can get "replica" cameras that look like the more expencive options. I've concidered retrofitting the cheaper cameras into the more expencive looking housing to still get the footage but to work more as a deterant.

or get one of these, usually pretty good deterrents...

6a00d834a5877d69e200e54f62eac58833_800wi.jpg

We've been having our scrap bin at work being knocked off on a regular basis

Well that answers my questions about e-bay cameras. Fake camera and sign it is.

If I may digress from the OP's topic, still this may be of interest to some, we had a problem with arseholes dumping domestic waste in our scrap bin.
Its a large bin - like fit a small car in large - with giant letters stenciled all over in red saying METAL WASTE ONLY. The other week I actually found some ID in the form of a domestic air line ticker and some receipt's in one of the bags. I contacted the council about going round and giving them a rev up about illegal dumping and was informed that this wasn't sufficient evidence to take action, and I may be liable to litigation if one of the dumpers injures themselves whilst dumping in my bin and that I should ensure the bin is tarped and secured daily.

So to that end, you guys may want to consider erecting some bunting and flashing lights around your water meters in case some intruder trips and does himself a mischief.
I'm on tank water, so I guess I'm in the clear on that one.

Criminals - the forgotten victims of crime..

Agreed. There are some that will "motion detect" and send a message and/or footage to a 'smart phone'. This might be an option...

Those cheapy motion detection ones are great if you like getting an SMS every time the wind blows and moves a tree in the background, or a plastic bag blows across the frame, or a neighbour's dog...

The good motion detection is spectacular but it costs some very serious coin.

Cheers
Dave

We use a few motion camera at work to catch would be thieves. Had a few successful convictions
Below is a nice colour one from when we were chasing diesel thieves
camers.JPG

Not what it appears!!!

Local boys and girls in blue checking for finger prints.
Normally whe get photos of wildlife. Best Photo is a possum pissing on the camera which is pretty funny till you realise you handled the camera before lunch!

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the help guys ,, will keep looking into it ..

cheers

If you are after cheap you could try looking at the foscam ones http://store.mangocam.com/index.php?route=...p;product_id=50 they are about $100.

Not the best quality but they work pretty well. You can set them up to email or ftp images if motion is detected, also can view live video from a browser or iphone. Can move them around etc.
Only problem is if you want to record video you would need a computer connected to them, they will upload images by ftp or email though. One funny thing is they have an audio out so you could tell your would be robbers to f#$@ off :p

Back