Home Made Yoghurt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make great yoghurt much easier than this.

Use long life milk, this has already been heated to the appropriate temp, so safe yourself the first heating step. It's cheap and easy.

Heat to 40 to 45 degrees. I actually put the closed milk pack in the microwave for a few minutes, shake and repeat. You can also just dump the tetra pack into a bucket of hot water, or just leave in your yoghurt maker for a while. then Innoculate with your culture or a spoon full of your favourite yoghurt.

Add a quarter cup or more of milk powder per liter, add 3 drops calcium chloride solution. The calcium chloride helps thickening the yoghurt. Buy it ready made anywhere that sells cheese making supplies like many HBS, or mix your own from your brewing salts, not sure about exact ratio though.

Keep at 40 To 45 degrees (a yoghurt maker is only 17 bucks at Aldi nowadays, no need to mess around with your urn) for up to 12 hours to get it really thick, then let it set in the fridge For a few hours.

We use an Easyio yoghurt maker, very easy to use. They sell just-add-water sachets, dunno about their various flavoured varieties, but we go through a lot of Greek style yoghurt sachets.

You can use milk and inoculate it yourself, but I found the yields to be a lot lower. Though I never tried adding milk powder, which looks like it helps a lot in that regard.

We knock up a few L if the easy yo yogurt all the time.

Been meaning to try the all-grain version of yogurt, but the easy yo is so easy ;)

We tried the easy yo and its ultra sweet, heaps of sugar. The missus used the easy yo container in the lsst AG yogurt attempt outlibed in the prev page.

citymorgue2 said:
We tried the easy yo and its ultra sweet, heaps of sugar. The missus used the easy yo container in the lsst AG yogurt attempt outlibed in the prev page.
We use the unsweetened packs. Then add a combination of stevia/sugar to taste

Stux said:
We use the unsweetened packs. Then add a combination of stevia/sugar to taste
dont think the missus ever saw unsweetened packs. Cool. Thanks for the tip. But still its cheaper to make ur own from scratch so we will persist.

CM2 - what did you use for starter culture? Did you sanitise equipment beforehand? (I don't personally, just wondering if you did). And was the milk fresh?

If you want unsweetened go for the greek style packets, I'm not a fan of sweetened yoghurt either.

Kaiser Soze said:
CM2 - what did you use for starter culture? Did you sanitise equipment beforehand? (I don't personally, just wondering if you did). And was the milk fresh?
missus made it. So nfi about sanitation. Should have been ok.
Starter culture was Chris' s brand greek yogurt
Milk. Pura full fat it wasnnt out of date. Does that count as fresh lol. Yeah I know youd get better results from raw milk

Nah, that's fine. I use supermarket milk, but generally not close to code, although I'm not sure that it matters. Just assuming that there's some other bacteria in there causing the cheesy smell, so considering the minimal number of ingredients, it can only be the milk, milk powder (doubtful), culture or anything that comes into contact with that.

Try sitting it for a shorter time (4-6 hours or so) to see if that makes a difference. Also try switching yoghurt cultures. I've tried Chris's in the past and while it's delicious yoghurt, I vaguely remember that it didn't work well for my homemade yoghurt, it was a bit hit and miss. Ironically, Brownes traditional is a good source of culture (read: reliable).

Also try Florian's long life milk process above - should rule out issues with the milk at least.

Kaiser Soze said:
Nah, that's fine. I use supermarket milk, but generally not close to code, although I'm not sure that it matters. Just assuming that there's some other bacteria in there causing the cheesy smell, so considering the minimal number of ingredients, it can only be the milk, milk powder (doubtful), culture or anything that comes into contact with that.

Try sitting it for a shorter time (4-6 hours or so) to see if that makes a difference. Also try switching yoghurt cultures. I've tried Chris's in the past and while it's delicious yoghurt, I vaguely remember that it didn't work well for my homemade yoghurt, it was a bit hit and miss. Ironically, Brownes traditional is a good source of culture (read: reliable).

Also try Florian's long life milk process above - should rule out issues with the milk at least.
almost exactly what I said to my missus. We need to eliminate variables to work out what went wrong. A few more trials and we should have answers. Will also switch yogurt and try farmers union.

Hmmm gotta give this a go. Missus does the easy yo thing but this looks like a bit more fun.

Since when was yogurt worth six frigging dollars a litre? Apart from Aldi who do decent yogurts for less than $5, Colesworths seem to have some yogurt price fixing scam that puts everything at $6.
So I decided to resist, and swung the mighty Crown into action. It was also an opportunity to test out how good the temperature dial is.

Recipe for five kilo tubs:

4L of Manning Valley unhomogenised milk
300ml Bornhoffen original as a starter
600ml of very strong reconstituted milk from full cream milk powder - two and a half cups.

Heated milks to 90 degrees in stockpot then allowed to cool off to 40
Added culture and warmed all back to 45

Filled five saved Aldi containers and placed in prepared 45 degree water bath, sitting on a trivet.,

I found that on my particular urn, the 40 setting gives 46 so I adjusted it back a tad
Five hours. No need to lag as the urn cuts in and out as required.

Bloody nice, I'll try another yogurt for a starter next time to see how it goes. I used the Bornhoffen as its strain is S.Thermophilae, but I now find out that nearly all Aussie commercial yogurts use thermophilic strains. Total cost of first batch around $11 for five kilos.

yogurt 1.jpg

yogurt 2.jpg

yogurt 3.jpg

Come on Bribie....dobt be sucked into the pricefixing conspiracy....it doesnt exist according to them

Good stuff gentleman.
I too dabbled in yoghurt making for a little while.
'Twas the summer of '12...
I had a wild starter that was captured from a long forgotten half-finished container of UHT milk.
My wife was going to throw it out but I had a smell and it was amazing. Put some of the liquid into fresh milk and sat it on the bench overnight (probably about 20 degrees) and the next day it was yoghurt.
Magic.

Drop the yogurt into the mash when step mashing at 45C whilst brewing. Then use it as a soude vous

Then keep it in the mashtun all the way through at it will end up pateurised.

:icon_offtopic:
citymorgue2 said:
Drop the yogurt into the mash when step mashing at 45C whilst brewing. Then use it as a soude vous
:lol: I had to laugh.. "Soude Vous" means "Soda you" in French.

I think you mean "Sous Vide" ("Under Vacuum") - cooking vac-packed stuff in a water bath (but that's another thread entirely!).

I've been making my yoghurt in a vacuum flask overnight for years & it's great. However, I've just found yet another use for my new STC-1000 toys (SWMBO will approve, methinks!).

Ive been using my el-cheapo rice maker to make yoghurt. If you put it on the "keep warm" setting, half fill it with water and take the lid off it stays at 43 degrees all day long. It makes the perfect water bath for making yoghurt.

Latest posts

Back