Home Made Yoghurt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that link, I'll order some.

As it happens I'm making Yogurt again today as I'm onto my last tub of the old brew, I'll try the "room temperature" system next time.

use soy milk? and add some lactose or sugar (soy doesn't have either) I imagine that is what the bacterium feed on?

Soy yoghurt should be fine but bear in mind it won't reculture after a generation or two - the yoghurt bacteria prefer proper milk.

sp0rk said:
Any shops near the highway selling it?
I might grab some on my way home from visiting the Family in Ballina over christmas and have a dig at doing some yoghurt
I've thought about using my HLT for the warm water bath, will have to hurry up and order the STC1000 for it
Tyndale roadhouse should have it

NewtownClown said:
use soy milk? and add some lactose or sugar (soy doesn't have either) I imagine that is what the bacterium feed on?
One of the reasons people use soy is because they are lactose intolerant. In that case, adding lactose is probably a Very Bad Idea.

The other reason is that they are vegan in which case adding animal derived lacose is also not a good thing.

Cheers
Dave

Not sure you would need it. I suspect the soy milk would have enough natural sugars to feed the bacteria. Having said that, I have never tried it so take what I say with several shovel fulls of salt.

Cheers
Dave

I lived in Turkey for a year and they are mostly lactose intolerant. However they eat heaps of dairy in the form of yogurt (a Turkish word of course) and cheeses. The reason they ferment the milk is to remove the lactose. So adding lactose to a soy ferment would be good for the bacteria and, when the lactose has been fermented out, good for the lactose intolerant eater.

Hmmm. I'm unfamiliar with the exact process but certainly lacto-bacilli fermentation won't remove all the lactose - that's why both the curds and the whey are sweet after clabbering/curdling and why you can use the whey as a sweetener in your beer. The advice here -

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/reducing-lactose-content-kefir

is that lactose is exactly what the bacteria consume, converting it to lactic acid.That said: if you want to make soy yoghurt and use lactose, well then that makes it useless for people who are lactose intolerant and in most cases it will rule out vegans too who don't want to eat any animal products.

One possible solution would be to keep two cultures, a main dairy yoghurt culture which you use as a mother for a soy yoghurt culture. The soy yoghurt culture will probably die out after a generation or two (that seems to be the advice on all cheesemaking websites and pages), but you can keep the dairy yoghurt mother around for reculturing.

Bribie G said:
I lived in Turkey for a year and they are mostly lactose intolerant. However they eat heaps of dairy in the form of yogurt (a Turkish word of course) and cheeses. The reason they ferment the milk is to remove the lactose. So adding lactose to a soy ferment would be good for the bacteria and, when the lactose has been fermented out, good for the lactose intolerant eater.

I have a grandaughter who has life threatening lactose allergies and that's just rubbish Bribie. She has only recently (she's 18) gotten clearance to eat some cooked dairy in the form of cakes and cheeses. In the past she could only have soy products, not a chance of natural yoghurts, and just touching someone else who had touched cheese would bring on a reaction.

punkin said:
I have a grandaughter who has life threatening lactose allergies and that's just rubbish Bribie. She has only recently (she's 18) gotten clearance to eat some cooked dairy in the form of cakes and cheeses. In the past she could only have soy products, not a chance of natural yoghurts, and just touching someone else who had touched cheese would bring on a reaction.
We cook on a regular basis (weekly) for a boy allergic to milk products (anaphylaxis) which would make me surprised if your granddaughter is allergic to lactose in that way. Generally it is the milk protein (casein) that causes the reaction. From wikipedia (the source of all things true!) :

A person with milk allergy can be reactive to one of dozens of the proteins within milk. The most common one is alpha S1-casein.
Lactose intolerance is a sensitivity to the lactose in milk, so reducing the amount of lactose should make it better for lactose intolerant people.

Kaiser Soze said:
We cook on a regular basis (weekly) for a boy allergic to milk products (anaphylaxis) which would make me surprised if your granddaughter is allergic to lactose in that way. Generally it is the milk protein (casein) that causes the reaction. From wikipedia (the source of all things true!) :

Lactose intolerance is a sensitivity to the lactose in milk, so reducing the amount of lactose should make it better for lactose intolerant people.

Thanks KS, i apologise Bribie as i am not up enough on the whole deal. I know it's been described within the family as allergic to milk (and eggs) and assumed the lactose was the problem.

When I lived in Southern Turkey in a town about the size of Port Macquarie the only place you could buy milk was a government "depot". They would literally boil up a big batch of milk every day and you had to bring your own bottle to refill. It was mostly for kids with medical problems who could tolerate milk, and the odd Euro tourist who couldn't live without their latte :p Having been boiled it would have tasted pretty naff.
Nowadays I expect milk is more readily available in the supermarkets as tourism is huge nowadays and there are a lot of migrant workers.

Off topic again but when I was last in the UK I hunted in vain for ready made custard in the supermarkets (e.g. Pauls type custard 2L or 1L cartons). Never heard of it and general opinion was that it's a weird idea. :blink:

punkin said:
Thanks KS, i apologise Bribie as i am not up enough on the whole deal. I know it's been described within the family as allergic to milk (and eggs) and assumed the lactose was the problem.
I thought the same too initially punkin. And it makes cooking a real bitch. We have to remove everything milk based when we cook for fear of cross contamination, and we read every label to ensure there's no milk solids/products involved. Even most commercial stock has some milk in it. It's surprising what contains milk.

Just tried my new batch of 5 kilos. I did it on a mixture of Vaalia and Bornhoffen and it's turned out not as rich tasting as the first lot, with more of a loose jelly consistency. Would recommend the Bornhoffen at 43 degrees.
Might have screwed up the Vaalia bugs as they are Acidophilus and not sure if 43 was suitable.

Edit: quite edible, I mostly use my yogurt as "ayran" the National drink of Turkey, to perk me up of a morning with a protein blast, and in Indian cooking, so consistency isn't all that important.

Never mind, next batch will be that room temperature stuff.

It makes it hard when sending your kids to daycare/school as they prohibit things with nuts,egg,whey etc in lunchboxes. Basically only leaves fresh fruit....and water...

Kaiser Soze said:
I thought the same too initially punkin. And it makes cooking a real bitch. We have to remove everything milk based when we cook for fear of cross contamination, and we read every label to ensure there's no milk solids/products involved. Even most commercial stock has some milk in it. It's surprising what contains milk.

Yep having to use two knives to make the toast and make sure you have a seperate jar of vegemite labelled etc. It's easy to remember the milk is So Good, but much harder to remember not to give them a kiss the same day after you've eaten chocolate or whether you've ever dipped a butter knife in the honey.

Then they go and change ingredients or processes on things at the supermarket you thought were safe, so reading the labels becomes an instinctive habit.

Latest posts

Back