Home Made Yoghurt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Thought about using coconut in a batch, though have yet to get around to it. My method however would be to add that dried shredded stuff to the milk and process it until I got the taste and consistency right.
Since coconut milk is basically flavored saturated fat, water and no casein, I suspected I would likely just split. Much like Bribies results would indicate.
The plan was to then experiment making 'frogurt' for a nice summer treat. Unfortunately now its winter. Suppose it would go alright on a curry..
You'll be able to market it as: Dave's healthy yoghurt - now with fibre. You mean to put it through a blender?

That is actually a pretty good idea. For people who grow their own fruit it could be another way of preserving it. For example: if a person had excess pears, they could put them through a blender, mix them with milk, turn it into yoghurt and put it in the freezer.

Yoghurt that has a lot of cream or coconut fat in it would benefit from being mixed if it has separated out. You can either strain the whey portion away and then mix the solids or you can mix the whole lot without straining. I think that is what they do commercially in some instances anyway.

A good recipe might include:

-milk;
-cream;
-coconut cream;
-coconut fibre;
-coconut butter; and
-fruit juice for extra sweetness.

hoppy2B said:
You'll be able to market it as: Dave's healthy yoghurt - now with fibre. You mean to put it through a blender?
Oh yeah, you gotta blend it. Bit stringy otherwise I'd say. Even baking it a little before hand would lend a nice nutty / sweetness I reckon. Some crushed, toasted almonds (which I have actually done) is great also.
Stirred through a bowl of granola and we're talking some no fuss pooping I can tell you.

So, I made a 2L batch yesterday.

For the coconuttiness, I decided on this Ayam dehydrated C. milk, which worked very well.
This avoided the left over water Bribie encountered after fermentation.

When I do the next lot, I'll use two sachets (1 per litre of milk). The flavour is definitely there, but it's subtle.

Incidentally, the Ayam range has a much higher % of actual coconut (and no stabilisers/emulsifiers) so even the liquid products shouldn't leave as much liquid in the finished yoghurt.

I'm straining some to use in a few cheese cakes for the wife. Banana/toffee and passion fruit varieties.
The was a couple of bottles of Kaiju! waiting in the fridge yesterday, so she deserves it.

I should say that the word 'yoghurt' should be read as 'yog-hurt' and not 'yo-gurt' during this (and subsequent posts written by me). I am British and therefore speak correctly. Do what you like in your own time...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I thought the Brits pronounced it as a 'short' vowel, as in 'jog'or 'got'.
At least thats how Nigella taught me.
Mmm..Nigella. And yo-gert..

There's controversy about how to say yoghurt, broccoli - drawing on previous experience.

Aus: contro VERsy - yoh gert - broccol eye - droring

Pom: con trOversy -yog ut - brocco lee - draw wing

As a pom myself it's always interesting to try and get a native born Aussie to say "drawing" properly as in drawing pin. They just can't hear that they are putting an extra "r" in the word instead of the "w".

Personally ah divvent worry aboot aal that, cos ah taak reet proper, just gan doon wor hoose an ask wor Mam and wor marras they'll lorn ye. If ye want te learn more just ask wuh.

On topic, that Ayam dried coconut milk is fantastic, instant bliss. When I did my curry course in Brisbane the chef always used it and referred to the Thai tinned coconut cream as "gutless". The Nestle one is just as good but it comes in kilo packs and is a bit hard to track down but works out less per weight.

Yoghurt cheese cake !

Homemade yoghurt gets you laid...who knew ?

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back