Home Made Bbq Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tyreman

Reaction score
G'day brewers, i have a bit of spare time on my hands at the moment :)

one of the local brewers told me about his smoker that he built and it got me thinking and gogling, anyway i searched around and saw that this is huge in the states and they rave about how good their results are.

so in the interest of creating things better than commercially available i cracked out the welder and gave it a go, heres what i came up with...

img0090he.jpg

img0086rb.jpg

img0085kl.jpg

In the spirit of BBQng i named the creation "Doom and Plume"

first test run was a 2.5kg chunk of cow with a pepper seasoning, results were AMAZING!!! very impressed, few minor adjustments since these pics were taken for efficiency and useability, but you get the idea

imagenld.jpg

Just follow the plumes of smoke mate :)

im in Belmont, Geelong....not too far to travel for a feed

oh yeah sure a feed... ill be wearing a balaclava, wave gday

G'day brewers, i have a bit of spare time on my hands at the moment :)

one of the local brewers told me about his smoker that he built and it got me thinking and gogling, anyway i searched around and saw that this is huge in the states and they rave about how good their results are.

so in the interest of creating things better than commercially available i cracked out the welder and gave it a go, heres what i came up with...

img0090he.jpg

img0086rb.jpg

img0085kl.jpg

In the spirit of BBQng i named the creation "Doom and Plume"

first test run was a 2.5kg chunk of cow with a pepper seasoning, results were AMAZING!!! very impressed, few minor adjustments since these pics were taken for efficiency and useability, but you get the idea

imagenld.jpg

thats a f#@king good effort dude, i love the smoke

IMG_0176_1_.JPG

Sweet rig CHOPDOG, how do the neighbours enjoy their clothes on the line smelling like smoke and meat?

Anytime John, I'm always free to play host... Did you find a house... Better be in Belmont ;)

If you were going to make some up for people who would possibly like to buy one off you what would the likely cost be??? Just asking.....

A couple more picks would be good of the coal and smoke burning, close up of temp probe, photo of smoke housing and how it connects to the main chamber etc etc etc

im every where mate.

Indeed you are mate....stalker! hahaha

heres some pics of the bad boy in action lastnight...

imageccm.jpg

imagewukg.jpg

imagedkpp.jpg

imageyoa.jpg

Yeah i could make these up for people no worries, depends what design you want i guess, i could do a simpler(cheaper) version of this if you want

give us a cost man, I am officially registering my interest. I've been using a hooded bbq for smoking, and it's good, but no where near back-home stuff.

Last trip back, I was at a mates place, who was just breaking in one of these: ~dreamy~ and the result was outstanding :icon_drool2:

Pending cost, I think would be interested in one of these.

Cheers SJ

Is the main vessel a decommissioned automotive LPG tank?

Great work mate.

Who'd have thought T.A.F.E would pay off..

Love your work Mr_Tyreman, make s me want to run out to the shed and plug in the 9" grinder and welder!

cheers

Browndog

Okay guys if you want one, i can rough one up for you, minus the truck stack, substituted for a normal round mild steel pipe with maybe a rain flapper for $400

cheaper if you want to paint it yourself, no thermometer or door seals....let me know what you want

Oh and the firebox would be made from a cut down LPG tank also as im too gutless to pinch kegs :)

Back