Home Grown Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejed

Reaction score
Hi, I am concidering growing my own hops. where could I purchase seeds and is it as simplle as drying the flowers?

Regards,
Bluejed

Hi, I am concidering growing my own hops. where could I purchase seeds and is it as simplle as drying the flowers?

Regards,
Bluejed

Its a tad late now as they are already growing like crazy here in Adelaide.

If you can wait a bit there will probably be cuttings available for nothing in the not too distant future. I have taken a few to try and get going and will give them away once they are healthy and happy.

I'd assume even though it's a bit late in the year you could buy a rhizome and still grow it so that at least the rhizome itself grows for next season even if you wont' have a harvest this year?

Yeah i got mine about six weeks ago. Going nuts here in Whyalla SA

Regards,
Bluejed

From what I have learned here, only rhizomes will guarantee you get a female plant. If you grow them from seed you may get male plants which are useless for brewing.

On the other hand only flowers that have been pollinated (by a male plant) will give you seeds. I understand the commercial flowers on sale are not pollinated.

Regards,
Bluejed

They are often advertised here. Also hopswest sell them regularly through ebay - cheap, healthy and quick service with instructions.

Usually they are grown from a rhizhome and as suggested, it may be a bit late for this year. I'm fairly certain HopsWest have sold out.

If you go the ebay route compare prices and even aske here- I have heard of ridiculous prices being asked for just because people can. There are many scrupulous people who will either give them away or sell them at very reasonable prices but there are many money grubbing pricks around too.

I'd assume even though it's a bit late in the year you could buy a rhizome and still grow it so that at least the rhizome itself grows for next season even if you wont' have a harvest this year?

Correct MB - All of mine last year were from cuttings. Some great rhizome growth, but no flowers. I am hoping for a crop this year though!

I grew some hops from seed a few years ago and found them quite difficult to germinate but eventually manage to get half a dozen plants growing around the kids swings in the back yard. This was before I started brewing, I grew them for their medicinal properties. I ended up with 1 male plant which ended up dying for some reason but each year the females have a pretty good crop of flowers. I have no idea what type of hops they are, I got them from an organic seed supplier in the south of Tassie, but they will certainly end up in a brew this year. It'll be interesting to see what flavours they impart fresh and dried. If you was going to grow from seed you probably could still do it now but you wont have a decent crop of flowers for 2 or 3 seasons I would say. From seed it would also be very difficult to say what strain of hops you have for sure, I'm not sure if they can throw back genetically or not but it would be interesting to find out.

Correct MB - All of mine last year were from cuttings. Some great rhizome growth, but no flowers. I am hoping for a crop this year though!

I planted my Tettnang about 10 weeks ago. It took off very quickly and grew 7-10 cm in one week. Since then it has stooped and doesn't seem to be doing well. Have moved it to the ground and out of the ground, and to three different pots. (Even fertilised it recently) Having said that, you can still plant one tomorrow and it will catch up with mine in one week :)

I planted my Tettnang about 10 weeks ago. It took off very quickly and grew 7-10 cm in one week. Since then it has stooped and doesn't seem to be doing well. Have moved it to the ground and out of the ground, and to three different pots. (Even fertilised it recently) Having said that, you can still plant one tomorrow and it will catch up with mine in one week :)

I've got about 6 different types going and the tettnang did the same as yours. However, all the other's just keep getting bigger!

I've got about 6 different types going and the tettnang did the same as yours. However, all the other's just keep getting bigger!

Interesting. How long ago did you plant them? did your tettnang recover?

Thanks fopr the feed back, I have been looking at Cascade hops (seem to be a good alrounder) any sudgestions? :icon_cheers:

Regards,
Bluejed

Thanks fopr the feed back, I have been looking at Cascade hops (seem to be a good alrounder) any sudgestions? :icon_cheers:

Regards,
Bluejed

i've gone hersbrucker and chinook - should work out well, i reckon.
wwwwwwwwwwweewww

Mulling over the idea of getting some hop seeds from the UK & US and playing potluck at trying to grow some hops from seed. as for all the ones I 've seen variety is unknown thats why its pot luck. Never know my find the next big thing or may be not. I'ts all mainly for learning, so I'mm wondering if anyone has had experience of propagating hops from seeds? love to know how to go about it the right way or close to it.

Back