Home Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Country Brewer (Toongabbie/Girraween) -

They have taken the time to answer questions (good for me as I'm still trying to get the hang of it all).

Their own brand (Wal's Pale Ale) is really good.

My next brew comes from this shop based on the advice and time they spent considering my preferences.

Good products matched with good advice ... and a definite knowledge of their product.

sm0902,

Is Pete back on deck there???

Linz ... I'm not sure of the name of the person who helped me. Same person the last few times of been there though (last 2 months).

Twas P.meyers from this site....yonks ago when I started out

i've tried a number of different places, sydney, canberra, adelaide, melbourne and while they've all been friendly and so forth i do get annoyed with the ones that forget my orders, substitute ingredients i didnt ask for when they're out of stock, persuade me to buy things i dont want to save them the hassle of getting what i want, or who are always out of stock. so my award goes to GRAINANDGRAPE for having absolutely everything and being super reliable. except for one time that was australia post's fault.

Just had a really quick fly through this thread. Three things... My Favourite Shop, Voting on HBS's and Legal Ramifications of HBS Criticism. These are dealt with below under incorrect headings!

My Favourite Shop:

I am, without a pause, going MHB. I have no LHBS on the Gold Coast even worth mentioning. Nice guys but zero idea. One up here even painful to deal with.

MHB: Excellent! Immediately relaxed upon speaking with him on phone. Asked, in hindsight, stupid questions, and was not made to feel stupid. Great advice received including, 'try your LHBS - they should have it and may be cheaper than me posting it.' A nice relaxed conversation. Received my order yesterday but he got it wrong - too much!!!! He included at no charge, extra samples of specialty grains, hop bags and even a flip fermenter tap. Apparently Weizguy and Stephen were in his shop at the time of the compilation of my order. For me, as a newbie, feeling comfortable, having confidence in advice and reliability are more important to me than price although I'm sure that MHB's prices would be competitive. As I'm forced to deal via mail because of my location, I'll certainly continue my relationship there.

Voting on HBS's

I saw briefly, some comments on voting for HBS's and the legal ramifications. I am, but please don't tell anyone, related to about a billion lawyers. Through osmosis, I have gained a tad of legal knowledge. I think the voting or specifically asking for feedback on HBS's is a great idea! As long as anyone can justify the facts of their opinion, anything said is OK. So if I say here, that the IBREW bloke here on the Gold Coast I have found to be atrocious to deal with all I have to do is ensure I have evidence to justify my comment. Evidence can simply be in the form of a statuory declaration although having a few extra things up your sleeve helps e.g. recorded phone conversations. (You can legally do this and there's plenty of computer programs that will allow you to record conversations.)

AHB would only be legally liable if they knowingly allowed a fiction to continue. I think the mods here would pull up any unfair comments very quickly. Any experienced lawyers here to affirm this or do I have to go to relations which will probably cost me! LOL! (And, if you get into trouble for following my advice above, don't worry, I'm as legally liable as you!)

Voluntary Registration of HBS's

Another thing that could be interesting would be for HBS's to voluntarily register with AHB. This would involve submitting themselves to the scrutiny/feedback of AHB members without legal recourse. Of course, there's always going to be one, so any HBS volunteering their service to be analyzed should have the right to ask for a post/s to be deleted/suspended for a period of time in which they could prove the post/s to be incorrect.

I Did Not Post This

The above post is very long-winded and I would just like to say that I had nothing to do with it. I was simply channelling the Beer Gods.

Without getting long winded, the ability to rate a homebrew shop already exists on this site. I pointed it out in an earlier post & others have kindly pointed it out to me since.
James

Interesting to hear that a new HBS will be opening very soon in St Mary's
(Western Sydney). I reckon it will be an ABSOLUTE cracker! Can't wait!
Keith

How Passionate people are about thier Home Brew Shops sounds like some of the Guys are doing the right thing :) , this post has captured a lot of interest over 3000 views . :eek:

Pumpy

im going to say bruce at tcb in drummoyne is an absolute champion

After posting the other day I only go to my LHBS [Caloundra Homebrew] for a little DME and some extract sometimes, I spent $89.90 today :( a new glass fermenter [broke one two weeks ago :angry: ] 1kg DME for starters, 1 can of extract for a partial I may do just to keep 3 taps on [and a quaffer] and 1kg of POR a bargan I thought at $20, it was sent to him by mistake.
I spend more then I thought there :blink:

When I started out, I got a homebrew kit from TCB @ Richmond.

Chris was a great help with getting my brewing up and going.

Then I discovered forums and moved to AG and found Gerard @ ND Brewing.

A++ products, service and advice! I would highly recommend his services to anyone and everyone.

Yeah well atleast I am not a god damn alcoholic pumpy

What has this got to do with anything?? :huh:

I reckon PistolPatch is on the money here.... look at a site like www.ratebeer.com here you will see rubbish beer being outed for what it is.... and good beer getting the praise it deserves, and all without any hint of a lawyer. Exactly the type of process which we could use here. Give your rating and give your reasons for it, posted for the workd to see.

Range (grain) a/5
Range (extract) b/5
Range (hops) c/5
Range (yeast) d/5
Storage facility e/10
Advice f/10
etc...

Pistol also makes a good point about Ibrew :)

dreamboat

I also started out with CHris at TCB Richmond. Always full of info and helpful ideas on different things to try. I too have since gone to extract, then AG. However he has managed to source everything for me which i need. So i still use him for the most of my products. The only thing i dont get there generally is hops due to a smaller selection than around on the web.

got to put my vote for Gerard @ ND Brewing.
Used him for the first time today awersome grain delievered to the door that is such a plus for me working shifts etc just gets harder to get to HBS

The other big plus is he emailed what was happening with the order and kept me up to date

Edit: I could not understand it either, must have had the beer grogles on then sorry

sintax69 said:
The other big plus is he emailed me that he was going to be a day late love that just tell me I have to wait and I will tell me nothing get me pissed hope to use him again
[post="113670"][/post]​

Huh?? :blink:

Phrak said:
sintax69 said:
The other big plus is he emailed me that he was going to be a day late love that just tell me I have to wait and I will tell me nothing get me pissed hope to use him again
[post="113670"][/post]​

Huh?? :blink:
[post="113777"][/post]​

Translation with punctuation - The other big plus is he emailed me that he was going to be a day late with my order. I didn't mind at all as he had made the effort to tell me but if he had told me nothing I would have been annoyed. I hope to use him again.

:p

LOL, thanks :) I understood the first part, up until "a day late". But I couldn't figure the rest out for the life of me! :p

When I was a newbie I shopped at ESB randwick and thought it was great but it wasn't long before I craved more variety in both yeast and grain the M5 made it pretty easy to get to ESB at peakhurst so i did a lot of shopping there mainly due to the amazing range and helpful advice.

I have shopped at loads of online shops

Online Goliath(Dave) was really generous and helpful, freebies if there was room in the box.
Jovial Monk replaced items lost by Australia post :) FOC
Grain and Grape quick efficient processing of orders and good advice
Marks HBS loves a chat sounds passionate about his business and brewing
TWOC quick delivery of a Grain Mill with good advice
Grumpy's a bit pricey on hops, delivery etc. so I don't shop there anymore.

the list goes on ...

Gerard NDHB gets a big vote for the free home delivery friendly chit chat and advice and is my current fave

Latest posts

Back