Home Brew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caloundra Home Brew. Always great service, Les is now carrying a great hops selection from Craftbrewer in fresh foil packs and Saf dried yeasts. Also air pumps and SS airstones and a small selection of specialty grains. He will be expanding his grain stocks soon. A terrific response to AG requests, especially when there are only a handfull of AG brewers on the Coast so far. He sells a heap of kits and likes to encourage kit brewers to experiment with hops and the use of grains to improve their results.

DEFINITELY NO AFF:

I had a recipe that calls for them- if I remember it's for my davey spice (yeah, terrible name, but I do that on purpose). Haven't tried it, but have heard some good things about crystal hops.

tangent said:
so when a recipe asked for crystal hops, I got them from Ross.

crystal hops????? :blink:
[post="126660"][/post]​

Yep tangent, its a fairly low alpha american finishing hop from memory.

Here you go. From Brewrats hop specs page. Linky

Crystal (United States)
Specifications
Pedigree: A triploid variety developed from the German Hallertau aroma hop variety with primary contributions from Cascade, Brewers Gold and Early Green. Released in 1993 to the hop industry.
Maturity: Mid-season
Yield: 1350 2250 kg./ha. Or 1200 2000 lb./ac.
Growth Habit: A fairly strong growing hop
Disease/Pest: Susceptibility Somewhat susceptible to downy mildew.
Pickability/Drying/Baling: Good
Cone-Structure: Medium-sized fairly neat cone
Lupulin: Moderately abundant, normal yellow color
Aroma: Mild, spicy & flowery
Alpha Acids: 3.5 5.5% w/w
Beta Acids: 4.5 6.5% w/w
Co-Humulone: 20 26% of alpha acids
Storageability: 50% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20 C
Total Oil: 1.0 1.5 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 40 65% of whole oil
Humulene: 18 24% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 4 8% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: Very popular in the craft-brewing industry. Viewed as the most pungent of the new triploid Hallertau family of hops.
Possible Substitutions: Mt. Hood, Hersbruck, French Strisselspalt, Liberty, Hallertau
Typical Beer Styles: Pilsner, Lager, Klsch, ESB, Alt, Belgian-Style Ales
Additional Information: Primarily grown in Oregon. Acreage is increasing. Released in the 1990s.

Information source: Hopunion CBS, LLC

Home Brew Shops, How does your local 'stack up'?

Well, here is a story for you all.

I went to the nearest HBS in Canberra (I didn't have time to visit the good one in Kambah :ph34r: ) this morning, as I needed some yeast badly.

Found the only beer yeasts available were S-04, S-23 & Muntons Premium Gold.

The Muntons had a Best Before date of December '05.

I calmly mentioned this simply as a piece of advice to the young bloke that served me at the counter as I paid for my S-04 sachets and while he was quite receptive, the owner's teenage daughter snaps from behind the counter "It doesn't matter! If you shake it and can hear it moving around inside it's still ok!"

WTF?!?! Yeah, it might still be viable, but why strike out at a paying customer for simply mentioning it? Oh, and no way would I expect someone to buy any product from me that is past its BB date and simply state itll be ok mate while still charging full price!

The shameful heap of sh*t shop is in Kaleen ;)

PZ.

am,heading to the act. soon, was planning on checking out the local hb store,but on second thoughts might pass. :blink:

Fingerlickin_B said:
Home Brew Shops, How does your local 'stack up'?

I calmly mentioned this simply as a piece of advice to the young bloke that served me at the counter as I paid for my S-04 sachets and while he was quite receptive, the owner's teenage daughter snaps from behind the counter "It doesn't matter! If you shake it and can hear it moving around inside it's still ok!"
[post="127967"][/post]​

:blink:

Man, that's terrible! Obviously they hope nobody knows much about yeast!

@ least you got 3 to choose from ... even if 1 was 5 months out of date..

:beer:

spog said:
am,heading to the act. soon, was planning on checking out the local hb store,but on second thoughts might pass. :blink:

Spog, check out Brew Your Own At Home in Kambah when you are here, its a great shop and Colin the proprietor is a great bloke :beer:

Completely different to the other one I mentioned!

PZ.

Never knew there was one in Kaleen? To be a HBS in Canberra and not associate with the Canberra brewers is a pretty bad move...

Col's shop is good, and he has plenty of good (and knowledgable) advice... And he has some nice fresh stuff, new stocks of hops just in (mmmm)

Hmm I'm from newcastle, and I think marks is the only hbs I havent been into yet...It seems well worth a try :p At the moment I frequent another shop that sells homebrew gear. Not wanting to mention any names though, since by the sounds of things Ill probably join the list of marks homebrew fans, suffice to say its not marks and its not beer'n'gear.

Mark knows what he is talking about and trully loves to talk about all the new AG gear that he is now building for sale. MHB has one of the biggest collection of grains. I think he said the other day, about 40 different types. Lots of good info comes from Mark and Keith the beer guy. Take a look and mention that you are an AHB member. They will prolly put you on there e-mail list.

Take a look and mention that you are an AHB member.

I did :excl:

Many thanks to Mark for his prompt reply and "extra"attention to an email request for some thing I can't source locally.(in Adelaide).His helpful nature and"NO worries mate" attitude has ensured that I will be checking out his site when it is fully operational.Good service,and word of mouth reccomendations are advertising that really works.

dave

I think that we all in time find our favorite HBS.
I have on in my town, not really very good, another one in Bendigo, where I work, not much better, but I prefer to do a 260k round trip, to G&G, where I can all I need, including good advice from all that work there.
They have all that I need in stock (not like the other 2 closer ones [call back in next week, I'll see if I can get it in for ya :huh: ]).
Also G&G have the ESB fresh wort cubes, for less than RRP, with a "brewers dozen", buy 12 & get the 13Th free.
For me it's well worth the trip to get what I want, when I want

A feed of the best Singapore noodles in Rathdowne St Carlton is also a bonus :p

Also G&G have the ESB fresh wort cubes, for less than RRP, with a "brewers dozen", buy 12 & get the 13Th free.
I also wondered about the cheaper price but it turns out that ESB include DCL yeast while Grain & Grape don't, or at least they didn't when I last bought one from them.
I'll be making my way there soon since I wan't to try out some of the ESB 3kg kits.

How bout this

asked for 10Kg of marris otter 3 of wheat and 1 of carafa -

they mixed it all in together in the one bag - what sort of beer would that be!

didn't realise till i got home :angry:

asked if they had any keg valves - 'we can order them in mate'

mumble mumble says i

he comes back 30 sec later with a whole box of valves!!!

or the liquid yeast that is 15mnths old -still full price ....! :blink:

makes me hate brewing...
lou

Another Plug for Gerard @ ND Brewing, Silly me travelled into Sydney today to get some grain, but did not realise that NDB is online only. One call to Gerard and he had me sorted with my order. Picked up at his place and then on my way again. :beerbang:

Great service.

Tim

MHB convert, truly a great shop. (and great blokes there too :))

Back