Holy Sh!t

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
I hope i dont sound like a knob.

I just tried my latest effort, and man o man its different.

its is a amarillo/cascade Pale made pretty standard with us-05 i think, with my first effort of dry hopping.

I think its the dry hop addition that is throwing me, its really floral and citrus almost like a super charged LCPA maybe, its only been in bottle for 2 weeks and maybe the hoppyness will integrate.

i dont dislike it far from it, maybe im just having a life beer moment, or maybe ive had to many allready :rolleyes:

The floral would be the Amarillo.
The citrus would be the Cascade.

Enjoy, and welcome to the world of real flavour and aroma! :p :wub:

Yep.. The wonderful world of dry hopping. After this experience you'll find it hard not to throw a couple hundred grams in there. I know I have. For an LCPA clone try chinook and cascade. I have recipe on the DB that calls for about 50g each dryhopped. Good smack in the face there. Not to everyones taste... But I don't care... More for me

Wait to you use Galaxy if you like tropical, pineapple etc. Galaxy with Amarillo and Cascade...... might as well throw your tongue into a melting pot of tropical awesomeness.

I hope i dont sound like a knob.

I just tried my latest effort, and man o man its different.

its is a amarillo/cascade Pale made pretty standard with us-05 i think, with my first effort of dry hopping.

I think its the dry hop addition that is throwing me, its really floral and citrus almost like a super charged LCPA maybe, its only been in bottle for 2 weeks and maybe the hoppyness will integrate.

i dont dislike it far from it, maybe im just having a life beer moment, or maybe ive had to many allready :rolleyes:

May the future hold more beer moments for you, and no, you don't sound like a knob, just sound like someone who's discovered flavour and aroma the way it's supposed to be. Welcome to the other secret society

Congratulations, it's always great when something works (even if it works a little too well).

For the beers that I have dry hopped the aroma has dissipated quite quickly.

Cheers,
Finn.

Hey

I'm yet to try dry hopping.. I'm considering it for one of my planned brews. What did you do? Hops in a sterilised bag?

Hey

I'm yet to try dry hopping.. I'm considering it for one of my planned brews. What did you do? Hops in a sterilised bag?

Just chuck them into the fermenter as they are.
No need to be concerned about sanitation, as hops are reportedly their own preservative etc.

They'll sink to the bottom before bottling/kegging.

Just chuck them into the fermenter as they are.
No need to be concerned about sanitation, as hops are reportedly their own preservative etc.

They'll sink to the bottom before bottling/kegging.

or clog the racking cane/tap?

Siborg, as warra said i just tipped the hops out of the baggie in to the wort straight from the fridge. i did watch the gravity and put them in with what i estimated to be 1 day to go of fermentation, then cc for 8 days at 2 deg.

i bottle from the tap straight from the fermenter and there was only a bit more trub and stopped probly 3 stubbies from where i would take a normal bottling but it was mainly yeast cake

We are only talking at about 20-50 grams of material hear not kilos of stuff floating in the wort,

i think ill move to a seconding vessel and bulk priming in the near future

Listen to you fairies - flavouring your beer with FLOWERS.

What a bunch of girls. :lol: B)

Here's a daisy to put in your hair when you sip your flower juice:

daisy2_preview.jpg

Listen to you fairies - flavouring your beer with FLOWERS.

What a bunch of girls. :lol: B)

Here's a daisy to put in your hair when you sip your flower juice:

daisy2_preview.jpg

What do you use?

I've bought an $8 coffee plunger from Woolies and do hop tea, instant flavour and aroma without putting vegetation into the fermenter. Works particularly well with hop flowers or plugs. Because I no-chill in a cube - which dissipates some of the hop aroma and flavour I wanted something to approximate to a 'flame out' addition of hops.
Using a coffee plunger I actually boil some hops in a pan for a few minutes, then do the plunger thing, and end up with fairly clear goodness to pour into the fermenter at the same time as pitching, then another dose a couple of days before bottling.

I just measure and tip the pellets straight in after primary fermentation has finished and leave it go for another 5 days or so, no socks or bags or anything. It's never clogged my fermenter tap up, and I've never had hops bits in any of my beers. Maybe I'm luck, I don't know.

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: Flower Power,,,dude feel the love. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I just measure and tip the pellets straight in after primary fermentation has finished and leave it go for another 5 days or so, no socks or bags or anything. It's never clogged my fermenter tap up, and I've never had hops bits in any of my beers. Maybe I'm luck, I don't know.

+1. I've only bottled 1 dry hopped brew but it tasted so good out of the fermenter that I dry hopped the 2 that I've got going at the moment last night. I used pellets last time & some pellets, some flowers last night. I assume that there's more risk of clogged taps with flowers. Should've thought of that.

Hey

I found its best to wait about a few days until the serious airlock bubbling has died down, then open the fermenter and chuck in, the bonus at this stage is that your little yeasties have already got the upper hand on the other critters, there is some alcohol there to do some minor sterilization and all your hop aromas aren't being forced out the airlock quite as fast, this is referred to as 'scrubbing' from what I have read. Use a bag if your using a hop plug /whole hops and your worried about the rare chance of hop petals in your teeth, if your fermenter has a sediment filter (which most do now days) they usually don't make it into your bottles anyway.

Although lately, because they are in season, I have been picking whole hop flowers from my garden, then sticking one in each bottle, This seems to best the best method so far, the aroma and taste is to die for.
The whole hop flower/cone stays intact and becomes a nice little filter in the neck of the bottle, which is great for drinking the dregs without the chunks. Then a simple flick of the wrist upside down and out pops the flower.

Latest posts

Back