Holidays In Tasmania!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM me, your more than welcome to drop in for a brew or two at the Woolven St Brewery.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Will be heading to the seven sheds brewery and the moobrew as well. Didn't think of doing any cruises - but will be booking in the 3 hour eco adventure tour from port arthur (the day after we do the ghost tour).

Cheers again for the help!
Phil

iif northwest coast there is a small brewery at a place called railton about 20 minutes south of devonport. 7 sheds brewery its called i beleive.

I was in Tassie for a holiday last June. We visited Seven Sheds brewery - its owned by Willie Simpson a beer journalist who's turned brewer. He recently published a book that covers pretty much all the breweries in Australia (large and micro). He's a friendly guy and his beer was pretty good. He also grows all the hops he uses in his beers.

There's another place called 2Meters tall that grows the barley that their beer is made from - from memory they have it malted for them in Melbourne and then shipped back. They're into Real Ale and the pubs that serve their beer use beer engines.

Both Boags and Cascade were good tours.

Cradle mountain and the Gordon River are both amazing places. We spent 2 weeks in Tassie and will definitely do it again - great place.

Have fun

Edit - beaten by pretty much everyone...

isnt there another brewery called iron horse or iron house or something too?

They had no sausage rolls, they only had weird pies left .......

As for the wood carvings - very cool. Actually I'd go to tassie purely to see the timber work. No where in Australia comes close. Between the carvings and the laminated beams I was in heaven.

no sausage rolls, OH! the humanity of it :eek: :p

If wood carving is your thing head NW of hobart up the derwent valley and you'll find a place called the WALL.

Its not going to be the best weather when your down so really play it by ear. The east coast will have the most stable weather, so a trip to freycinet st helens and the tasman peninsula aill be worth it. Iron house brewery is on the east as well.

Bruny island is a really nice place you can go for a Boat ride down to the friars. There is a cheese factory, a fudge factory, oyster farms and heaps of other stuff.

isnt there another brewery called iron horse or iron house or something too?

Yeah Ironhouse, it's down the East Coast which is a good place to visit in the Summer.

If you want to visit something different try 'The Pub in the Paddock' at Pyenganna. Don't forget to give Slops the beer drinking pig a visit while you are there. I think they make some pretty spectacular cheese up that way as well. There's also a fairly spectacular waterfall nearby, just a short walk.
Really nice drive through that area.

There's hundreds more places, too many to mention.

Tassie micros that i know of-

Iron House - White Sands Resort - Scamander
Wineglass bay brewing (Hazards Ale)
Seven Sheds - Railton
moo brew - Moorilla winery - Berridale
Van van diemen's brewing - Relbia
Taverners Brewery - Launceston
Dickens Cider - Hillwood (cider only-mentioned for the novelty of the name)

Back