Holidays In Tasmania!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Anything worth seeing beer or non-beer related? Will be there from end of may to start of june, probably about 5 or 6 nights - last two of which will be spent at the cradle mountain lodge...

Cheers
Phil

i have always wanted to go for the trout fishing...... if that floats your boat - not that you need a boat to river fish :)

Anything worth seeing beer or non-beer related? Will be there from end of may to start of june, probably about 5 or 6 nights - last two of which will be spent at the cradle mountain lodge...

Cheers
Phil

We recently did the Gordon River cruise out of Strahan, fantastic, highly recommended. That night we saw a play in Strahan "The Ship That Never Was" Australia's longest running play, absolutely excellent,, a must-see.

Peter.

if your going down hobart way try the cascade brewery tour, i did it a couple of years ago, was worth it. If your going to be near launcestone there is the boags brewery tour. if northwest coast there is a small brewery at a place called railton about 20 minutes south of devonport. 7 sheds brewery its called i beleive. ive been meaning to go up there. cradle mountain is a nice place me and the girlfriend go up there every year.

i have always wanted to go for the trout fishing...... if that floats your boat - not that you need a boat to river fish :)

Trout fishing season ends 2/05/2010 for brown trout waters, reopens at the start of August. The season ends 30/05/2010 for designated rainbow waters, reopens October . There are however eight waters open all year around for fishing. You will need an angling licence and all the regulations will be on your leaflet. I can steer you in the right direction if you are keen on fishing for trout.

Moorilla Estate is in Hobart (Berriedale) which contains their Microbrewery (MooBrew). Some nice beers and you can see straight into their brewery from the tasting centre/restaurant.

That and the Boags centre was about all I had time for on my family trip a few years back, otherwise it was 'normal tourist' stuff like Port Arthur etc.

We recently did the Gordon River cruise out of Strahan, fantastic, highly recommended. That night we saw a play in Strahan "The Ship That Never Was" Australia's longest running play, absolutely excellent,, a must-see.

Peter.
+1 Gordon River Cruise. Do one where you get out and have a look at Sarah Island. Pretty interesting place.

Tassie is full of interesting places everywhere you look, all within a day's drive return. Just take off on an adventure and see what you come across.

As above plus just drive around, fruit stalls with some of the best this country has to offer, cherries the size of small apples $5Kg for seconds which are better than you get in Woolies. There in 2005, never ate breakfast just hit the road by 7am and picked up some fruit along the way, there are pick your own orchards and berry farms too.

If you are into brewing drive up through Bushy Park (N of Hobart) beautiful old oast houses and hop farms, romantic stuff for brewers :lol:

NewNorfolk0004.jpg

Screwy

+3 on the gordon river cruise and sarah island you had better be prepared for all weather conditions though and if you get to hobart on a saturday the salamanca market is a must do as is the lark distillery store near by which has some moo brew on tapand on my last visit they had two metre tall clear ale on a hand pump!

Not a good time of the year to be coming.
The weather gets wild down the west coast, some of the biggest waves ever recorded.
Best place to be is in a cosy country pub next to an open fire enjoying an ale and fine fresh food.

Cheers
Phil

You lucky *******..

We've been there a couple of times, only a month ago in fact and stayed in the 'Woodsmoke' hut. Stunning place.
If you are silly enough, do the hike to the top of the mountain (weather permitting). We've done it both times we visited, most and took a different route each time. Its an all day affiar and you need to be at least half fit to enjoy it.
At the very least, do the Dove Lake circut.
If you like spotting wombats and bothering native wildlife ect, go for a drive at night (if you time it right you can tag along behind the parks bus..) and take a good torch.

If you want to save a few bucks on food and drink, take a drive to Sheffield and stock up. Its about a 100k round trip, but its a nice drive. Or better still, shop before you get there - unlike me..
There's nothing better than a fat pan fried steak sizzling away on you wood stove while kicking back with a Cascade Stout or six..

Out of Hobart, the Tahune Air Walk is worth a look and more kid friendly (if you've got em) than Cradle Mt and the little town of Geeveston where you get your tickets from is interesting enough and has a great bakery.
Though I just couldn't get that dam banjo music out of my head...

If you're in Hobart also consider Lark's Distillery in Davey Street by the waterfront. Very interesting tour and tasting.

You need large volumes of unhopped wort to distill into whisky so its not unrelated to beer brewing.

Tassie is a great place.

Cheers,

Stout

Peter.

+1
DSC_2902Medium.jpg

Although I've heard that if you have the time (and coin!) to do the railway tour from queenstown is worth it too.

Also the eco cruise http://www.tasmancruises.com.au/ is pretty fricken awesome. I'd rate this along with the sarah island/ gordon river cruise as some of the best experiances I've had in Australia.
Kelscamera260308043.jpg

Dismal swamp is good if you get up that far north. Massive slide and some awesome sculptures and arts.
Kelscamera260308145.jpg

If you get south then the Tahune AirWalk is worth a look. The airwalk is pretty good - but theres some other fantastic walks around the area. You'd easily spend 1/2 - a full day here.
DSC_2464Medium.jpg

I love tassie

Out of Hobart, the Tahune Air Walk is worth a look and more kid friendly (if you've got em) than Cradle Mt and the little town of Geeveston where you get your tickets from is interesting enough and has a great bakery.
Though I just couldn't get that dam banjo music out of my head...

Really? I thought that bakery was shit. They had bugger all left at 12:30pm, service was slow and the food we got was dried out and shit. Couldnt believe it when I read the sign on the front promoting themselves as one of the best bakeries around.

Really? I thought that bakery was shit. They had bugger all left at 12:30pm, service was slow and the food we got was dried out and shit. Couldnt believe it when I read the sign on the front promoting themselves as one of the best bakeries around.

I dunno, it was ok when we were there, it's pretty hard to f**c up a meat pie I would have thought (but we got there around 8.00am), though not as good as the one at Dover (?) on the way to Hastings. They do a great scollop pie.

So..

How did you feel abut the timber carvings then?

They had no sausage rolls, they only had weird pies left and the two pies we got were dried out. Add to that the super slow service and disinterested staff and you earn yourself a shit review Geeveston bakery (March 2009).

As for the wood carvings - very cool. Actually I'd go to tassie purely to see the timber work. No where in Australia comes close. Between the carvings and the laminated beams I was in heaven.

On your way to Cradle Mtn pop in to SevenSheds and say g'day to Willie
7Sheds.jpg

Also just go into any bottle shop and ask for every type of Boags they have and have your own Boag-on-athon!
Boagonathon.jpg

Asher

Moo Brew,Iron House,Seven Sheds, & Two Meter Tall are great micro's with Van Dieman just starting. They all brew good beer and all worth a visit. Have visited all but Van Dieman but plan to rectify later this year. Also visited Wineglass Bay Brewery but he contracts his only beer from Victoria. Called Hazards Ale. Very average but the winery has a couple of nice whites. The service and friendly nature of the people at the other 4 makes it a worthwile visit to each.
Enjoy

Latest posts

Back